Chapter 1 - Running Away

—Running Away—

It is emotionally draining me to leave everything like this. But what can I do? They leave me no other choice. I hailed a cab and instructed the driver to take me to the airport, far from everything and everyone.

Did they notice my absence yet? I doubt it. I have left my phone in the house, instead, now I am using a new number to contact my friend Amber to help me settle in New York.

I am not trying to be cocky or something but I must say, I am pretty smart. I can't believe myself, how swiftly I've devised my escape plan!

My plan is pretty simple...

I will go to NY, will live there with my friend, and will find a job which should not be difficult as I've already done my Masters in Human Resource Management and have experience too. I am ready to work my ass off, earn some money and then after 6 months, move out. I will get an apartment, contact my parents and made peace with them. And then I will live my life happily.

Sounds easy and simple right? But it is not. It all looks cotton candy but I know it will be nothing less than spikes and rocks. And even if I got lucky with few things like my visa and this whole escape plan, I can't be lucky with them all. Because that's just how life is like.

At least, making peace with my parents is not going to be easy. I am sure the letter that I have left them, if it can even be called that, will not do much in my favor. I mean it is horribly written. It goes like..

Sorry Mummy and Papa, but I can't marry that rich jerk. I am running away, will contact you soon. —— Your daughter, Ruchi.

Now, that's not how you do it, but I did. It is only now I am realizing so many things I could have written, but I didn't so I rest my case. I also realize that maybe I could have protested more, but it is too late to think all that.

It is not like my ex-bridegroom-to-be cares. His family was here, but he was somewhere working, only to arrive in India an hour before the wedding. Now again, who does that?

By the time I weighed all my what-ifs, I realized I've reached the airport. I was ready with my ticket, passport and other paperwork. It was all in my hand, I was walking happily towards the service counter when I collided with something, something which smelled great.

But in less than a second, I realized it was not something but rather someone and a very good looking one at that. I realized that due to the collision his phone dropped...wait no, it was the latest I-phone. Shit! I silently prayed for it, I really hope it didn't break, because if it did, there was no way I was going to be able to pay for it in my current situation.

"You have eyes or are there buttons in place of them?" He said in Hindi. So, the douche-bag is Indian. By his looks, no one could've guessed his ethnicity at first glance. I did not have time to marvel at his looks, anyway.

"Excuse me? You were the one not looking." I protested, annoyed with his taunt.

"Really? You were the one walking like you own this damn Airport!" He swore loudly and it annoyed me more.

"I pay taxes, so indirectly yes I own this damn Airport!" I mimicked the last part.

"Oh, shut up! You almost broke my I-phone." Anger was quite visible on his face. He was handsome and I would have appreciated his looks, only if he wasn't this rude.

"Almost? Damn... I thought it would be completely broken, you materialistic ass!" I hissed.

"Mind your tongue, young lady." He glared at me, and it was well..scary. I noticed his eyes were hazel and right now they were glaring at me, I did not really like it.