➴ Chapter Three: Eyes ➴

<< What do your eyes say? >>

❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅

"This isn't going to work out well..."

[Name] drummed her fingers on her desk, contemplating her choices. It was already the next day, and she'd gone back to her work.

Isaac and Zazie were somewhere else, needing to attend to certain... duties that Norman had planned for them. After all, their extraordinary characteristics were absolutely necessary for the childrens' cause - both Norman and [Name] planned to utilize the abilities Lambda gave them to the fullest.

Was it a tad inhumane? Perhaps. Were the boys only small children? Absolutely. Were they going to use them anyway? Yes.

It wasn't a time to be questioning morals. The leaders had already given up on such things the moment they decided that a genocidal movement was needed. Even if [Name] wasn't keen on the idea of using them in such a way, she acknowledged that it was necessary. That led to the current dilemma.

I don't like it, but it seems I'll have to convince Ayshe to our side myself. Perhaps if she sees the demons' true nature, she won't be able to defend them anymore. Even she will have to accept the truth once she sees small children being sold like poultry.

I wonder if she will see that demon the same way she does now.

[Name] hummed to herself, picking up a pen and bringing out a spare piece of parchment.

For now, my best shot is weakening Ayshe's attachment to Faarih. She doesn't have to become attached to me, but I have to loosen their bond somehow.

She tapped the pen's tip on the parchment, leaving behind spots of ink.

The thing is, Ayshe already knows that Faarih eats humans. She just doesn't care.

[Name] grit her teeth, scrawling a few words in swift strokes.

I've never seen a human so... nonchalant to the cruelty towards her own kind. I couldn't understand that even if I wanted. Even I hated Mother after I learned what she'd done, so familial attachments aren't a factor here.

Actually... [Name]'s eyes widened for a moment. Mother... Hold on, I can use that. Now that I think about it, our situations aren't all that different. The only difference is that I was a four-year-old child and Ayshe is around my age.

Recreating my exact situation requires a sacrifice, however, so it isn't an option. It's unlikely that showing her the meat stalls will affect her since she was there in Gorian's library. Faarih feels confident enough to bring her into the city. Ayshe has probably already seen them.

But there's something about the way she reacted to me.

"I thought I was the only one," Ayshe marveled.

She's never seen any other human before.

"Hm..." Her gaze landed on her bedroom wall, where a map similar to Norman's lay. If Ayshe had no sympathy for humans due to her lack of interaction, then she'd simply need to cultivate that sympathy instead. And with that attachment... perhaps that would be enough to weaken the bond between her and Faarih.

Perfect. That's something I can use.

❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅

"Are you heading out already?"

[Name] paused for a moment, in the midst of lifting her cloak over herself once more. Norman had just left his office (an instance that was quite rare in the paradise) and was now scrutinizing her with both concern and confusion.