falling for you, again (4)

Start from the beginning

Lisa looked at her and then shook her head stubbornly, lips pressed nervously together.

The ride started and, as many roller coasters do, began the slow ascent up the track. Jisoo was already cheering and Jennie would be too if Lisa's tight expression wasn't in her periphery.

"I hate you, I hate you, I hate you Kim Jisoo." Lisa repeated as she squeezed her eyes shut. "What if the ride malfunctions – fuck, I hate you."

Jisoo scoffed and laughed.

Jennie could see they were almost at the top. She glanced hastily to Lisa and then decided to screw the weird feeling in the pit of her stomach. "Lisa."

The girl opened her eyes, with supressed panic. "Mm?"

"Here." Jennie opened her palm and Lisa stared at her silently, surprised. "We're about to plunge down in a few seconds."

Lisa squeaked and gripped her hand, clammy and sweaty but tight and Jennie felt a warmness spread throughout her body that was better than the adrenaline kick.

"Don't let go, please." Lisa pleaded as she shut her eyes again.

Jennie chuckled. I won't.

Never

-

Jennie chewed on her lip as she blankly stared at the cards in her hands. The numbers and colours and symbols were hardly recognised by her distracted mind, ears tuned in on the sound of harsh, pouring rain outside and eyes every few seconds going to the door.

"Jen, it's your turn... Hey. Jen. What's – seriously, what's wrong with you?" Jisoo leaned across and flicked her on the forehead, effectively getting her attention.

"What?"

"It's your turn. Can you please focus? I want to win and I want you to witness it."

Irene snorted with scepticism.

Jennie sighed, not really caring much about the card game they were playing – Uno, was it? She was also fairly certain Jisoo was secretly, or even unknowingly, breaking the rules as she played. It was strange, because Jennie was competitive, anything that could possibly be a competition was a competition. There was no such thing as second place or second best, not for Jennie Kim.

Somehow, this was the second most important thing on her mind.

First was that Lisa hadn't returned home yet. And Jennie was worried, because it was raining so much and it was late. Surely, dance practice would have finished by now? She gulped as the thought crept into her head that maybe Lisa was pushing herself too much again... what if she was in that dark headspace and needed her to pull her out... maybe she should go to the studio –

"Oi. Jennie." Irene's sharp voice cut over Jisoo's. "What's going on?"

Jennie put her cards on her lap. "Nothing."

Irene cocked an eyebrow.

She gave in. "Lisa's just not back yet."

A pause.

"Oh." Jisoo and Irene said flatly.

"What does – why did you say it like that?" Jennie sputtered in response.

"So typical." Irene laughed before Jisoo was joining in after shooting Jennie a knowing look, but also seeming delighted at her concern.

Jennie flushed. "It's late, that's all! And I even made dinner and it's getting cold. It wouldn't taste good being microwaved and – shut up – it's raining too."