The Goth and His Psycho: [Chapter Nine]

Start from the beginning

  “Okay” he mumbled. She smiled. 

  He helped her into a sitting position, then he went to the window, checking that the car was in the driveway, it was. He remembered his mother telling him she was getting a lift to work, and silently thanked whoever had offered to take her in. 

  He got the keys from the small table in the hallway, and then he went back to retrieve Bree. 

  “You cant carry me out” she told him quietly as they got to the door, he was holding her up, steadying her. 

  “You cant walk” he scoffed. 

  “Check the street” she ordered, he nodded and propped her up against the nearest wall, then he hurried out, sweeping the street quickly, no sign of people, but then, his neighbours were some of the nosiest, his mother said all the time. He couldn’t trust the fact that no one was watching, even if no one was on the street. 

  “Clear” he told her when he retreated back indoors. 

  She nodded, and allowed him to pull her back into a vertical position, he manoeuvred her outside and then he froze. 

  In the house directly opposite, his neighbour, who his mother called ‘The Old Bat Betty’ had just exited her house, and had now taken a seat on her front porch, a glass of what looked suspiciously like brandy in her withered hand. Her aged grey eyes turned on them. 

  Alex’s heart thumped unevenly in his chest, but Bree’s face remained smooth as she stepped away and took his hand instead, Alex was so shocked he froze yet again, but she tugged on his hand, and finally resorted to digging her jagged nails into his flesh to get him moving again. 

  “Talk to me” Bree hissed as they paused to lock the door, Alex had barely started talking when she let out a laugh, it was loud, a girlish giggle that had Alex glancing at her and grinning. 

  “Kiss me” she hissed again. 

  “What?” he squawked, she rolled her eyes at him, then she reached up, her hand snaking around his neck. He pulled in a sharp breath as she pulled him down, their lips met. Alex’s heart thumped uneasily, and he hardly felt his hands find her waist, resting gently on the curves of her hips. Bree did the kissing, moving her lips moving smoothly with his, disconnecting and then reconnecting again and again. Alex felt his stomach lurch as her fingers teased the skin at the back of his neck. 

  Then she was pulling away, twisting from his grip, Alex felt himself lean forward, searching for more. There was the faintest of chuckles as she stepped back, she took his hand again and he shook off the trance-like state she’d put him in. He helped her down the stairs, The Old Bat Betty had diverted her eyes, although they kept flickering to the two of them. Two minutes later though they were in the car and on their way. 

  “What was that about?” Alex asked, breathlessly. Bree had untangled her hand as soon as she was in the car, and he couldn’t help the slithering of rejection that gripping his ribcage, even though he knew it was stupid. 

  “People don’t like looking at intimate situations.” Bree stated, but her voice sounded faint, Alex hoped desperately that it was just the roar of the truck beneath them, but he wasn’t stupid, and he felt his chest hurting. “She was looking, so I made her look away” Bree continued, she turned to Alex with a small smile that made his chest swell. 

  “Well, could you… warn me, the next time?” he threw her a glance, and quickly looked away when he met her knowing emerald stare. 

  “Next time?” she quirked a brow at him, and Alex felt heat rising in his cheeks, he didn’t reply, and he heard the same patronizing chuckle emit from her when she came to the conclusion he wouldn’t speak.