CHAPTER 1

Act one: A Cold Night

In the cold dead of the night when the world was asleep and the only light in the small village illuminated through the glass window was a single candle.

The strings danced in and out a ball of its own except it had no dim lights, food, dazzling outfits or a hall to dance on. An un-amusing ball it was indeed.

"Look mother!" The boy on the desk exclaimed holding up a book of adventures for his mother to look at, the book had a drawing of a mighty sword on the right page "It says here anyone could become a hero if they wished too!"

The mother didn't bother to look up from her strings as she talked "Dear, you have already reached 16! the age of marriage and yet you still talk of these silly stories believing the nonsense they spout into your head?" The boy put the book back on the desk "It's no nonsense, Mother. Uncle Paul had told me a hero has a heart of gold, don't I too have a heart of gold, Mother? Uncle Paul said I did" the boy declared his uncle's words from heart, he truly believed he could make it into a hero but his mother saw no hope in his dreams "Darling don't just believe everything your uncle said, a hero is a heart of no gold but full of courage and bravery and bravery something you don't have. What you have to focus on is getting a nice lady and a decent home not these folktales".

The boy huffed there was no talking his mother into believing in him, alas even if she does not believe in him he suppose he have to believe extra in his soul though it would be nice to have one's support. "As we talk about marriage" the boy's sister looked up from her strings aware where this is going "Athilen my beautiful flower how are things going with Albert Soft?" The mother eyes finally left her work and spared a glance at her dauther "Oh mother it's the same as always nothing new to talk of!" The girl talked in a rushed tone trying to appear as un-different to the unpleasant question "Nothing new? Why I heard he plans on paying us a visit very soon and there might be a ring involved!" The mother exclaimed but instead a look of happiness on Athilen face it was painted with shock and horror.

"Mother I'm not sure that marriage is convenient for our Athilen at the time being maybe when she's a bit older" the boy said as he looked at his sister's horrified face there mother did not know of it but marriage was not on his sister's list "Oh? Then I guess we could talk about you and Annie no?" The boy froze as it appears it was his turn "Mother, you know we're on odds with one another and Annie always has her nose in my business" his sister broke out of her horrified stage and jumped to help her brother back "I agree with Athill, Mother! Annie is not a very nice girl" their mother looked at him before declaring "Darling if a girl picks on a boy it means she likes him! It appears you already have a perfect fit for you perhaps I was worried over nothing" the mother said happily as it appears she didn't get the message the siblings were trying to send "With all duo respect Mother but hurting someone is no sign of love but hatred" the boy said only to be once again ignored his thoughts doesn't seem to weight much.

"What are you knitting Mother?" The sister said as an attempt to escape the dreadful conversation "A dress for your father for when he returns" the mother said going looking at her un-finished work "Is Father returning soon?" "Yes dear he sent a message in the morning and declared he'd be back 3 nights from now".

"I can't wait to see Father again! I really missed him, Mother do you believe he'll perhaps stay longer this time" Athill said excited it appears he forgot the conversation that happened a minute ago "Maybe but nothing is for sure, I do want to suggest you follow him this time and not create un-sensible pretext not. Now shoo you two it's quite late now" the mother said signing her children to leave the room as Athilen put down her knit inside the drawer and excited followed by her brother. Perhaps she would be able to talk Albert into giving up that ridiculous idea of his.