Chapter 2: Different

Author's Note: This chapter depicts tobacco use.

Word count: 3,560

A feeling of terror washed over me, and I could hear my heartbeat pounding in my head. My eyes snapped open, my breathing becoming more and more rapid as the fear set in deeper. As my eyes adjusted to the dark, I could see the shadows of my room. One corner of my room was shrouded in darkness. It was a cold, heavy darkness that chilled me to the bone and pressed down on my lungs. I tried to turn my head to get a better look, but I couldn't move a muscle. Beginning to panic, I tried to sit up, but to no avail. My entire body was paralyzed in fear.

Just then, a red glint caught my eye, and my gaze settled on the ruby choker I had gotten earlier at the antique store.

I don't understand.

I could sense a powerful force holding me down, choking back my ability to see spirits. Or at least, whatever spirit was inside the choker. The ringing in my ears became increasingly unbearable until finally everything went dark and silent again.

My legs frantically kicked my blanket off me as I sat up suddenly with a sharp cry. My hands were clammy, and I wiped them shakily on the sheets as I stared down the ruby choker on my dresser. I swung my legs over the side of my bed and stepped into my slippers, crossing the room to pick up the necklace.

As I held it, I studied it closely. To the common eye, it looked like a harmless, unassuming satin choker with a sparkling ruby. But I could sense a faint, eerie glimmer coming from the precious gem.

How did I never notice before?

The necklace was undoubtedly haunted, but for some reason, I couldn't speak directly to the ghost trapped inside like I normally could.

This has never happened before. Is there something wrong with me?

Being someone who regularly spoke with the spirits of the dead, I had never been afraid of the paranormal. But this choker struck me with both fear and curiosity. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to learn more about it, or keep it as far away from me as possible.

Glancing at the clock to see that it was about two in the morning, I decided to put it in my jewelery box with the rest of my necklaces and deal with it later. With a sigh, I crawled back under my covers and tried to fall back asleep.

***

I groaned as my alarm went off. Dragging myself out of bed, I began to get ready for school. I never really bothered to put a whole lot of effort into my appearance anymore, because honestly, what was the point? The only class I was planning to go to was art, and even if that wasn't the case, everyone at school avoided me anyway because of what had happened freshman year.

I put on a pair of baggy ripped jeans, a Nirvana t-shirt, and a bunch of bracelets. As I laced up my Doc Martens, Lupe peeked her head into my room.

"Mom said you have to take me to school today. She's busy," she said reluctantly.

"No problem," I said with a smirk. My half-sister had always been very concerned with how people saw her, even before she became a well-known streamer. I knew that it embarrassed her to have me as her older sister.

"Stop that," Lupe whined.

"Stop what? I didn't do anything."

"Stop being annoying! I know you like ruining my life, but you don't have to rub it in my face!" she said with a stomp of her foot.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not doing anything but agreeing to drive you to school. If you hate it so much, which you obviously do, why don't you just walk there yourself? It's only like a mile and a half away."