10.0

It was the last day before winter break for the students of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Astoria Bennet lay in a small cushioned spot of the long Hogwarts halls, reading a book. She was about to finish her chapter when a certain blonde interrupted her.

"Astoria!" Cassidy Serwin yelled, making the poor girl jump.

"What, Cassidy? What could be so important that you feel the need to interrupt my reading?" Astoria said sarcastically, shutting her book and getting up. Cassidy immediately started dragging her towards the way of the Gryffindor dorms. Protesting slightly, Astoria followed her to Cassidy's dorm. Cassidy quickly said the password and pulled Astoria inside. The Hufflepuff got a few looks, seeing as she wasn't in their house, but she ignored them and went up to Cassidy's dorm.

"What do you need here, Cass?" Astoria grumbled as she sat down on the blonde's bed.

"I need you to tell me which dress to wear," Cassidy said, pulling out a green dress and a lavender one from her closet.

"What for?" Astoria asked, pulling at the buttons on her cardigan.

"The Potter Christmas Ball! You've been invited too, you know!" Astoria immediately sat up. Having completely forgotten about her invitation to the notorious gala, she hadn't chosen an outfit herself.

"Shit! No this is very bad, Cass, very bad!" Astoria swore, quickly standing up and pacing the room out of stress.

"Ria, stop! It's fine," Cassidy laughed, sitting down on her bed. "We can just go shopping together after break starts. I know a great place by my house. Muggle boutiques always have the best stuff." Astoria nodded and sat down, slowly calming herself.

"Why are you so stressed anyway? Worried about seeing a certain Potter in a tux?" Cassidy wiggled her eyebrows while folding a dress.

"Cassidy, I'm not in the mood for your rubbish. I don't think I can function at the moment, thank you very much." Astoria said, dramatically flopping onto the girl's bed.

"And why can't you function? Is it because you saw James in the common room?" Cassidy asked with a suggestive tone.

"He was in the common room? Didn't even notice," Astoria lied, holding back a smile. For one, she did think James was kind of cute, but at the same time it killed her to even think about someone else when she and Marcus only broke up 2 weeks ago! She felt she was betraying him, but was it so bad when she didn't really like James. It was a schoolgirl crush and that's all. Nothing more. Maybe something less. Maybe something more- no. Schoolgirl crush.

At least that's what Astoria told herself.

In the dorm over, the Marauders were having a very similar discussion.

"She has a boyfriend, James," Remus scolded from his bed in the corner.

"We don't know that for sure!" James exclaimed, looking at Sirius for support.

"I don't know, mate. Just because we haven't seen them together doesn't mean they broke up. For your sake and my sanity, I really hope they did, but we don't know for sure." Sirius said, finishing the last stroke of his nail polish. He had just painted them a dark maroon.

"She's coming to your ball, right? Just ask her then," Peter replied, continuing to read his muggle magazine.

"Wormtail you genius! Thank you, you saint!" James yelled, running over to hug Peter.

"Psst, Remus," Sirius whisper-yelled to his friend. "I think he might be a little obsessed with Ria."

"Oh sod off," James grumbled, putting Peter down and sitting back on his bed. James did really like Astoria, but he couldn't just tell her. There is no way she would like him back. He's just her annoying friend who pulls stupid pranks and won't put the effort into school. Wait-

"That's it!" James yelled, sitting up straight.

"What, James?" Remus asked, closing his book and giving up on any time to himself.

"Astoria likes school! She likes studying and shit like that! I can ask her to help me study and then I can spend time with her!" James exclaimed, smiling proudly at himself.

"Prongs, she's already your friend. You can ask her to hang out whenever," Remus explained.

"Yeah but it'll be weird if I ask her to hang out 1:1 like every week, you know? This way I'll have a reason." James said like it was obvious.

"That's really dumb but also kind of genius," Sirus smiled.

"Thank you?" James asked, tilting his head to the left.

"You are very welcome my deer Prongsie," Sirius said, taking a bow.