4.0

ASTORIA BENNET considered herself to be completely and utterly normal. She didn't believe she had any special quirks or fancy routines. She thought she was the same as everyone else. To be fair, she kind of was. But in Marcus Wang's eyes, she was one of a kind. Marcus constantly daydreamed of asking the Hufflepuff out and made many attempts. He would make it halfway to her and get afraid and leave. Finally, Marcus caught her alone in the common room and got a burst of motivation.

Marcus' pov:

I have spent all day trying to get motivation to ask out Astoria. Tomorrow is the Hogsmeade trip so it's perfect timing. I just have to do it. It's not like we talk much anyways so if she says no it won't be that awkward. Well maybe- no Marcus. Just do it.

"Hey Astoria!" Hey Astoria? What am I two?

"Oh hey Marcus!" she responded. Oh my god. She said my name. Astoria Bennet is talking to me.

"Listen I was wondering if you maybe... uh... just like... wantedtogotohogsmeadewithmetomorrow?" I messed that up.

Astoria's pov:

What did he say?

"I'm sorry, you spoke too fast, could you repeat that please?" I flashed the kind boy a smile. He looked like he melted. Is he okay?

"Um..I wanted to know if you would want to go with me to Hogsmeade tomorrow. You totally don't have to! I just really like you and-" I cut him off. He was cute mumbling but I was eager to respond.

"Yes, I would love to."

"Really?" he asked, with utter disbelief on his face.

"Really." I reassured him. The truth is, I have found him cute for quite some time, I was just too embarrassed to admit it.

Marcus is a really awesome guy. He's in Hufflepuff, like me, and loves to read. In fact, I met him in the library while we were helping out Madam Pince. (That was before she started hating me, of course.) I still go and help her sometimes to try and get back on her good graces but she won't budge. Anyways, back to Marcus- he has this adorable smile and when he gets excited he sort of jumps? I don't really know. His hair, I think, is my favorite part. He has fluffy, sort of curly, black hair. He has kind eyes that just make me feel at home. He's asian, and every lunar new year he gives me a chocolate coin. I don't know why, but the small gesture makes me feel fuzzy inside.

After talking for a bit, we set a time for the date and headed off to our respective dorms. That night I went to sleep feeling on top of the world.

- The Date -

It's the first Hogsmeade trip of the school year. Since it's winter, I decide to wear something warm. I pull out wide leg jeans and a green knit sweater. It's simple but comfy. I apply a little bit of makeup and slip on my boots and trench coat. Quickly packing my bag, I ran down to the common room to greet Marcus. He looks handsome as ever and we take hands as I drag him down to the promenade. I skip along the cobblestone and he just laughs. Oh God, his laugh. I could watch him laugh for hours. His laugh plays on loop in my head as we make our way down to Honeydukes.

The shop smells of chocolate and honey fill my senses. I feel as if my soul is being consumed by pure joy and bliss. We browsed for a while and finally went to the checkout, our arms full of sweets. Next, we went to The Three Broomsticks because it is basically illegal to not go there on a Hogsmeade date. Marcus ordered drinks as I found a seat. We talked for a while and he told me about his family.

He told me how his older sister is a writer for The Daily Prophet and his younger brother is starting Hogwarts next year. We talked about our lives and I told him about my family as well. My brother is an auror and my parents own a shop in Diagon Alley. It was around 3pm by the time we decided to go back to the castle. We're passing the Shrieking Shack when I blurted out, "Want to take a look inside?"

"What?" Marcus asks, turning to face me. I turn and point to the rickety old building.

"The Shrieking Shack. Want to look inside?" I repeat myself. Marcus agrees and we hop over the wire fence.

Laughing, we sprint down to the shack and climb the stairs rapidly. I beat him to the door and we take a minute to catch our breath. Breathing in deep, I push open the door. The place is covered in dust and I cough a bit from the dense air. I can hear the floorboards creaking as I move through the room. There are ripped up tapestries on the walls and some of the doors are sealed shut with bolts. The furniture is broken and frayed and the only light is a small lamp in the corner of the room. The walls are rotting with tacky wet wallpaper and the carpet is torn up. I hear a rustling noise and jump towards Marcus out of fright. A mouse.

We make our way to the next room which is just as ratchet as the last. But something stops me from opening the door. I turn to Marcus and ask him the time. "4:13pm," he replies.

"How about we head back to the castle? I don't want it to be dark by the time we return," I reply while hastily making my way to the front door. I can feel my anxiety levels rapidly rising and all I can think of is to leave. What is in that door that is making me so stressed and afraid?

Marcus follows me out but I don't talk to him until we are back on the road to Hogwarts. "I'm sorry Marcus," I say, turning to him. "I don't know why, but I totally freaked out. I just got stressed I think."

"That's okay. Would you- uh- maybe want to hang out again some other time?" he asks, fiddling around with his coat sleeve.

I smile up at him. A big bright smile that perfectly reflects the pure joy I'm feeling. "I would love to."