connecting the dots

"Hey, guard! Look, I want to make a phone call. I just work with these guys, I wasn't even there!" Winston complained to the guard.

"The structure of this roof cap is exactly like the telemetry tracker NASA uses to identify dead pulsars in deep space," Egon explained as the other inmates around them gathered to listen.

"Cold-riveted girders with cores of pure selenium," Ray said. Peter looked over his shoulder to see a man looking at the blueprints.

"Everybody getting this so far?" Peter asked as if he was a teacher (oh wait, he was one). Egon looked and watched as everyone went back to their corners and left the five of them alone. "So what? I guess they just don't make them like they used to, huh?"

"No!" Ray answered, slapping Peter upside his head. "Nobody ever made them like this! I mean, the architect was either a certified genius or an authentic wacko."

"Ray, for a moment, pretend that I don't know anything about metallurgy, engineering, or physics, and just tell me what's going on," Peter says.

"You never studied," Ray answered, Silvia chuckling as she stood beside Egon. "The whole building is a huge superconductive antenna that was designed and built for the purpose of pulling in and concentrating spiritual turbulence. Your girlfriend lives in the corner penthouse of spook central."

"She's not my girlfriend. I find her interesting because she's a client and sleeps above her covers. Four feet above her covers. She barks, she drools, she claws." Peter went on, earning weird looks from the other inmates.

"It's not the girl Peter, it's the building. Something terrible is about to enter our world and this building is obviously the door. The architect's name was Ivo Shandor. I found it in Tobins Spirit Guide. He was also a doctor. He performed a lot of unnecessary surgery. And then in 1920, he started a secret society." Egon explained.

"Great. A doctor who was a cult leader." Silvia says.

"Let me guess. Gozer worshippers." Peter says.

"Right," Egon answers.

"No studying," Peter says to Ray, rolling his eyes.

"After the first World War, Shandor decided that society was too sick to survive," Egon said but paused in the middle of his words because people started gathering around again. "He wasn't alone, he had close to a thousand followers when he died. They conducted rituals up on the roof, bizarre rituals to bring about the end of the world, and now it looks like it may actually happen."

"I thought I was at least gonna make it into my fifties, maybe 1990, but oh well." Silvia shrugs. Peter started singing 'Santa Clause is coming to town' but spirit version while everyone backed away again.

"We have to get out of here and find a judge of something," Ray says.

"Hey wait a minute! Hey, hey, hey! Hold it! Are we actually going to go before a federal judge and say that a Babylonian god is gonna drop in on Central Park West and start tearing up the city?" Winston asked.

"Sumerian, not Babylonian." Egon corrected him.

"Yeah, big difference," Peter said.

"No offense, but I gotta get my own lawyer," Winston says.

"Okay, Ghostbusters. The mayor wants to see you guys. The whole islands going crazy, let's go." A cop from outside the cell said.

"I gotta split, the mayor wants to rap with me about some things," Peter says to the other inmates while Egon folded up the blueprints.

"They better give me my snake back before we go," Silvia said. "They put poor Twinkie in some stupid cardboard box with only five air holes in it!"

"We'll get her before we go, don't worry," Egon said as he walked out of the cell with her.