Chapter 4: Sweet Persuasion

Start from the beginning

... Yeah, actually, I think I'm done here.

With that last thought, I then get up from my seated position at the table of foods that I was technically sharing with Tohma, Yoimiya and the newly returned Sayu. Ayaka was still standing, although she was about halfway into the room and seemed to have been contemplating joining us at the table – but perhaps the fact that the only empty seat was next to me had halted her?

I saw Tohma had braced for something when I stood up, perhaps he was preparing to jump to Ayaka's defence should I decide to try and strike her for some reason? Fortunately, I have no such thoughts or intentions. I simply started to walk past her, and towards the door that led back into the hallway of this Tea House.

Y/N: "I'm going to leave now."

Ayaka: "No, please... wait! Please... Don't go..." *sigh*

Y/N: "What?"

Ayaka: "I will forego my usual formalities and speak plainly with you, if you would be so generous as to entertain me. I will answer any questions you may have."

Yoimiya: "I get that you're really annoyed at them Y/N. I can totally understand why too: they've left us both entirely in the dark about all of this after all. But please, at least hear her out?"

Y/N: "... Fine."

I then walked back into the room. But I didn't take my seat at the table again. As it didn't seem that Ayaka would be sitting down either, and I'd rather not have her talk down to me as she explained herself... so instead, I walk over to the other side of the room and lean against the wall beside the window: keeping my distance from both those still sitting at the table and Ayaka who remained standing like I had guessed—... Huh? 

s–She just... sat down on the floor, right where she was just standing? She's not even using one of the tatami seats that everyone else was sitting on?

Tohma: "Milady?!"

Ayaka: "Would you... would you be so kind as to sit down as well? The flooring of this room is surprisingly comfortable and I—"

I didn't wait for whatever other reason she was going to give me, I just sat down cross-legged whilst keeping my back against the wall of the room and the distance between me and the others sitting down.

Ayaka: "o–Oh. My thanks."

Y/N: "So... Why am I here?"

Ayaka: "I... I would like to ask for your assistance in our efforts."

Y/N: "You... You want my help with something? But why me specifically?"

Ayaka: "We were already interested in you before, when the Shuumatsuban realised that a Vision-wielder from another nation had landed on our beaches. We were willing to provide anonymous aid... but Yoimiya refused our offers to rehouse you."

Y/N: "Yoimiya?"

Yoimiya: "Well, I couldn't just throw out a friend when I said I'd look after you myself now could I! But you only offered to rehouse Y/N. You never mentioned an interest in having them join the resistance effort?"

Ayaka: "At first, we also only wanted to provide aid. But then you mentioned to Tohma in passing conversation that our guest had mentioned defeating a God to you on your first day's meeting. And that piqued our interest somewhat."