As she saluted Alder and Rye's families, there was yet another surprise. The families did the salute back, followed by everyone in the town square. Their plans had changed. It no longer looked like they were thanking the new Victor, but as if they were saying goodbye to their tributes.

It could still be counted as rebellion, but anyone doubted the Peacekeepers would punish them when the one who had started the chain reaction was the Victor herself.

The major stepped forward, trying to give Dove a plaque as a gift, hoping that would keep the attention from the commotion. But she didn't take it immediately. Her three middle fingers were held to the families for an entire minute. If she stopped sooner, they could cut the scene back in the Capitol.

This time, Dove wouldn't give that pleasure to President Snow. This is what I'm going to do about it. She stated in her mind.

A Mockingjay's chirp echoed around the town square, closely followed by others. They were singing her and Alder's song. Even the Mockingjays were saying goodbye to the tributes of District Twelve. "I see trees of green," Dove sang, letting her tears fall and melt in the snow as the people inside the square joined, singing what they remembered of the song.

Once the song was up, she took gratefully the plaque from the major. They said a few words of dismissal, and finally, a last round of applause filled the square, allowing her to go back into the Justice Building.

"You did beautifully!" Delia beamed once she saw Dove entering, who only nodded in reply. She wanted to go back home. All the progress she had done weeks before, even days before, was lost. Luckily, she could still glance at her own hair without breaking down.

Finnick was next to Melo, faking his cocky act perfectly. He didn't seem to care for her in the slightest, which both knew was a big lie. Dove couldn't lie. It hurt her to watch him act like that towards her, but she couldn't let that get to her.

That boy she saw wasn't Finnick, it was a Capitol puppet. Just like she wasn't herself at the moment. She was President Snow's easily disposable puppet for the Capitol to enjoy.

"Of course she did. She's my sister, after all," Melo intervened arrogantly, placing his arm around her shoulders. Dove was thankful for that subtle gesture. It reminded her she wasn't alone. Her brother, although he couldn't do much, would always be by her side to make sure she was alright.

"Hey, she got it from me. I'm her mother," Librae spoke up, too, stroking Dove's back.

"Yeah, yeah. You two are awesome. Can we move on?" Finnick asked with his Capitol tone. Dove agreed. The sooner the events happened, the sooner they would be back on the train. And the sooner she could throw herself into his arms, sobbing until the day came, or she passed out from exhaustion. Whichever came first. 

The next stop was her room. The prep team would work on her again before Ohan could dress her in another mourning dress. Maybe it was because of her desire to go back to the train soon, or it was the little time until supper. But it all seemed to pass in a blur.

Dove fought the urge to shut down her feelings. If only she could sit wherever and look pretty. No talking, no conveying of feelings, no thinking of any kind. It would be the best, but she had to carry on with her role.

As she got dressed with Ohan's help, she looked at herself in the mirror. Her dripping-blood hair was getting worse, but maybe it was more worrying that she no longer cared.

Before, she screamed and tried to evade it, but now, she felt nothing. Was it because she had fully accepted her fault in Alder's death? No, she hadn't. She hadn't because, deep down, she wanted to believe it wasn't her fault. She wanted to believe it was for survival only. That she had been coaxed to do it. But she did not acknowledge those hopes.