The girl had her two parents alive, which seemed an achievement. Dove guessed Twelve's mines weren't as secure as the Capitol made them seem. To be fair, everything was more dangerous than what they made it appear.

The two parents grasped a little child's hand. The only sibling of the girl tribute wouldn't be older than four or five. Too young to understand what was going on. The little one cried, not understanding why their parents were telling them that their older sister would never come home.

A tug on her dress got Dove back to reality once again. A sweet little girl was giving her a massive bouquet full of fresh flowers. She took it slowly, thanking the little girl in the process.

It was time for her scripted thanks. She knew it perfectly. Angel had coached for days until she got all the parts right. But it didn't seem right. Three children were in front of her, all three younger than ten. Two from Alder's side and one from the girl's. How could she say anything of what it was scripted to them, who didn't even grasp the concept of death correctly?

"I'm ashamed to say I didn't even learn your District's female tribute's name," Dove spoke up, looking at the girl's family. The mother locked eyes with her and mouthed 'Rye'. Rye, that was the girl's name.

"Thank you. Alder and I tried to make Rye join our alliance, but she refused. She was confident in her skills, which I admire. . . I'm sorry I didn't oblige her. I should have grabbed her and dragged her out of the Cornucopia. But I didn't, and nothing can change the fact that I didn't." Sobs were heard. Rye's mother was crying while hugging her little child as the father rubbed her back.

Dove got her eyes off Rye's family. There was nothing else she could say about her. The girl hadn't passed the first day, and Dove barely had any contact with her during training after the alliance refusal. Now it was Alder's family's turn. She closed her eyes for a slight second, letting the tears stream down her face.

"However, I didn't do a much better job with Alder. I loved him, probably since the first moment I landed my eyes on him. He was a caring person. I loved him so much, yet I lost him so easily-" Dove stopped her speech abruptly.

No. I did not lose him. I killed him. It doesn't matter if he has forgiven me. I still killed him. I could have tried harder to stop the bleeding, but I didn't. She rambled inside her mind. However, she couldn't say those words out loud for everyone in Panem to hear. Alder's lover saying she had killed him instead of saying it was bad timing? That wouldn't be fitting for the helpless girl in love she was.

"I. . . I will always have him present in my heart. He was the love of my life. . . My soulmate." Dove was sure her own speech was going to make her puke her breakfast. She was getting sick from the lies she was spitting. But she had to compose herself. It was no longer for herself. She had to act like the puppet she was for Melo and, most urgently, for Finnick.

Dove considered it funny. She was in District Twelve, professing how heartbroken she was for her soulmate's death, how much she loved him. And yet, the only person she wanted to see, the only one that would witness her break down crying after all that was done, would be Finnick. The only person she wasn't allowed to have feelings for.

"I would like to show my gratitude, my admiration, and my deep love for him, in the exact way he taught me. . . Not only for him. For Rye, too." Dove paused before continuing with her speech.

"This is to Alder and Rye, District Twelve's 67th Hunger Games' tributes. They will forever be remembered and loved by their families, friends and lovers. And I pray that wherever they are, they are happy." Dove spoke up for the last time before raising her three left middle fingers. No one expected her to do their district's salute.