𝟺. ✧ There is only one step between lies and truth

Prompt: Fake dating [~3800 mots]

It was a pleasant evening in Liyue Harbor. As usual, the streets were crowded with passers-by looking for new jewelry, new outfits, or any other movable object that might catch their eye.

From the top of the walkway overlooking the main street, Lumine stood there, her hair swaying with the comforting breeze that tried to help her chase away memories that kept coming back to her, even though she tried to take her mind off it by observing the bustle of the harbor.

"Hey, girlie! I thought you were in Mondstadt with your boyfriend."

In the midst of the commotion from which she had escaped by positioning herself on this relatively uncrowded footbridge, a cheerful voice she knew well brushed her ears.

"I thought so too."

With a sigh, Lumine couldn't contain her thoughts about the boyfriend in question. They had been dating for several months, and Childe knew about it. But being reminded of this person at this very moment wasn't something Lumine had hoped for.

"Is everything okay?"

With a worried voice, Childe came to lean against the railing in front of which Lumine was situated, to her left, his elbows coming to rest on the typical red wood of Liyue, his gaze turned in her direction, eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"We broke up two weeks ago. He spent his life flirting with everyone."

In a voice devoid of any emotion, Lumine could only say this justification while staring at the passers-by with an almost inappropriate attention.

"So he was only good in bed."

In a casual, almost playful tone, Childe stated this fact as if it were a truth that everyone knew. But this remark didn't leave Lumine unmoved, as she was currently on edge.

"Childe!"

"I'm sorry," he apologized at once, but it was clear that he didn't mean it. "I shouldn't have made any assumptions. So he was bad?"

"That's not the point!" Lumine snapped again.

She was upset that he could bring up this kind of subject so freely with her, when her life with her ex wasn't something she was used to talking about. But today especially, these remarks, although playful, made her heart ache.

So she clutched the railing with her small hands without even meaning to, a tear escaping from her left eye to show despite herself that this breakup was affecting her more than she wanted to let on.

"I don't know him, but I know he doesn't deserve you crying over him."

The soft tone Childe put on at that moment was strangely soothing, but it wasn't like him at all. He was always pretentious and playful, and it was rare that his voice fell into such tones.