Chapter 34

Only Lola Greene could pull off a wedding in two weeks.

It looks like something plucked out of a bridal magazine. Pale pink flowers and deep green vines crawl up white columns, a quartet plays classical music on the side, and there are little kids in dresses running around everywhere.

Oh- and half of our high school is here.

It's so traumatizing, I'm on the verge of gritting my teeth when it's announced that the bride and groom are entering.

Jaden comes out first. He's the poster boy for a wedding, clean and shiny. He has a full family, all with matching beaming smiles.

Then the wedding march starts to play on the piano. Lola steps out in ivory and lace. Her smile is pearly white under her veil. On the other side of the aisle, tears are streaming down Jaden Brown's face. It's a picture perfect wedding scene but by the way they're looking at each other, I doubt either one of them really notices.

They grab hold of each other's hands, never breaking eye contact. I lean into Zack's chest as they begin to recite their vows.

"I remember the first time I met you," Jaden starts. "It was second grade and you were doing cartwheels all across the playground." Her grin widens. "My world was small, but the moment you smiled at me, I knew it belonged to you." He pauses to stare at her, just as tender and fresh as high school. "You have taught me more than I could have ever imagined. How to love someone. How to always see beauty in the world. I can't believe how smart and kind and beautiful you are. You've always believed in me and you inspire me every day. I promise to love you, to cherish you, and to make you laugh every single day for the rest of my life. We are one now and I love you and our baby more than words can describe."

Lola smiles at him. "I remember the first time I met you," she says. "It was second grade and you were the fastest runner in the class. I went home that night and I wrote in my diary that I was going to marry Jaden Brown." She looks up at him. "No matter where I was, I knew that God would bring me back to you. You have been my rock, my best friend, and everything in between for as long as I can remember. I am so excited to spend every day of the rest of my life with you and our baby. I truly believe that sometimes you just know. You are my soulmate."

My heart warms as they gaze at each other and when the bride and groom finally kiss, the audience explodes with joy. Zack pulls me closer into his side to press a kiss to the top of my head.

"I love you," I whisper to him.

He shakes his head slightly. "Trust me," he says. "I love you more."

And like that, one more good memory is added to the place I thought I feared.