Chapter 25

My trip to the police station goes about as well as my visits to my managers' offices about the note situation.

Which is, well, shit.

I can't say I'm surprised that they can't do anything for me just based on these notes. Still, I can't help the way my head hangs as I start to walk out.

I'm a second from walking smack into the door when someone grabs my arm and pulls me out of the way. I flinch immediately, pulling my arm back. The guy who grabbed it backs up, unaffected.

My eyebrows furrow together as I stare at him. He looks so familiar...

"Drew," I say. "Hi."

"Hey," he says. "So you're alive. And here I was hoping you just haven't had access to a phone for the past month."

I look down. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ghost you or anything, it just slipped my mind."

"Ouch," he says.

"I didn't mean it like that," I say. "I've honestly had a lot going on."

He nods. "That have something to do with why you're in a police station?"

"That and other things." I scratch the back of my neck. "What about you?"

"I have a friend who works here," he says. "You have a case or something? I can ask him to take a closer look at it."

"You don't have to do that," I say. "They already turned me away."

"Even more reason for me to," he says. He tilts his head. "You're okay, though?"

Before I can answer, Zack runs in. "Hey, sorry I'm late. Coach kept us..." His voice trails off as he catches sight of Drew.

I can see the realization piecing together on Drew's face. He glances at me then makes a half-smile.

"Damn," Drew says. "I never thought I'd be disappointed to be right." He grins. "I'll still put a word in, Amelia. Stay safe, okay?"

He pats me on the arm then walks out, leaving me with an unimpressed Zack.

"The Australian?" he mutters. "Really?"

I roll my eyes.

"How'd it go?" he asks.

I shake my head and I see him look over me with a glare, searching for whoever's responsible.

"Forget it," I say. "Let's go back to the apartment. I need to grab my wallet before dinner."

We drive back and I wait at the door as Zack goes to my room to grab my wallet. After a good couple of minutes pass and he still isn't out, I'm bordering on annoyed.

With a sigh, I start to walk forward into the bedroom. "Come on," I say. "I wanna be early-" My voice cuts off as I spot him sitting on the bed with a leisurely smile. "What are you doing?" I say, crossing my arms as I walk over. "Get up. We're gonna be-"

Before I can finish, he grabs my wrist and pulls me onto the bed beside him. A gasp escapes me as he grabs my thigh and places me on top of his lap so I'm straddling him.

"What are you doing?" I say, swallowing as his hand sweeps my hair over one shoulder. My eyes flutter shut as he kisses the bare skin and a delicious chill climbs up my spine. "You're being irresponsible."

His lips brush against my ear. "Then you can make me act good."

My neck cranes back and I can feel him smile against my skin as my breath hitches. I look back up at him, trying to ignore how flushed I feel.

"I hate you," I mutter, though it's not very convincing when my voice is quiet and raspy.

Clearly, he's thinking the same thing because his hands go to my hips and he pins me onto the bed, kissing me as he gets on top. My thoughts all turn to mush as I lace my hands into his hair and trace down his back.

"Do you know," he says, kissing the corner of my mouth and down my neck, "how much," a breath escapes me as his teeth graze my skin, "I've wanted to do this to you?"

I grab his face and bring his mouth back to mine. "Show me," I whisper against him.

He presses so hard into me it's almost punishing but his hands are soft. Gentle as they travel up my shirt and across my cheeks to brush away my hair.

"Fuck," he says, pausing to look down at me. His hand goes to my jaw, his thumb resting on my bottom lip. My breath hitches and he moves his grasp to my neck.  "I've missed you so much."

"You have?" I ask. I can hear the pain and joy in my own voice.

"I mean, it's you, Amelia. It's always been you." His voice goes quiet. "You're my person."

It's as if I can physically feel my heart light up. My hand goes to his face. I want to touch him. All of him. Everywhere that I've missed these past few months.

But because my brain won't shut up, there's an avalanche of thoughts filling my mind. Are we moving too fast? This is all so abrupt. But that's all overshadowed but one major thought.

"I never want to be apart from you again," I say.

His eyes soften and he smiles a smile too big for his face. One I haven't seen in what feels like an eternity.

"Then you never will."

Nothing feels more natural than the way his heart beats against mine as I sink into his chest.