Chapter 12

Grug chases Guy across the trembling landscape "This is pointless. We're running out of time. Everything is collapsing. You're being irrational and counterproductive," Guy yelled

"Big words anger me. Keep talking," Grug shouted, throwing the boulders out of his way.

"Countermeasures," Guy glanced at Belt.

Belt throws a fruit at Grug, it hits him square in the face blinding him. However, this didn't stop him "Remember how you were this morning? You changed, remember! Idea man? Modern man-" Guy comes to a sudden stop, he'd stepped in a small puddle of tar. He frantically tries to pull his foot out as Grug charges toward him.

"I...AM...A...CAVEMAN!"

Guy looked up, eyes widened "No, no no wait."

Guy and Grug do a slow-motion plunge over a tar-fall. As they descend Grug swings at Guy, coating himself with tar. Grug's arms are held like glue. His punches stop well short of Guy's face. Guy and Grug arrive in a wide pool of tar.

They slowly sink.

"Hnnnnngh! No. What is this stuff that saves you from my punches," Grug asked visibly frustrated and confused.

"Tar," the tone of Guy's voice sinks in.

Grug ceases his attack and tries to pull his arm out of the tar.

"Please Grug. You have to stop struggling," Guy begged.

"No! I have to get back to them."

"Grug! Stop," Guy yelled, fed up.

Grug looks at Guy.

"No one gets out of this. Believe me. I know," Guy's shoulders slumped.

Grug gets it "Your...?"

"Family. Yeah."

"Sorry," Grug looks at Guy again-he needs more than that.\

Guy takes a deep breath 'this is going to be hard.' "I was little when it happened. The last thing my parents told me was, "Don't hide. Live. Follow the Sun. You'll make it to Tomorrow."

This resonates with Grug. A thread of light trickles through the storm, falling just near enough to Guy he can gather it in his palm.

"You followed the light. My daughters are a lot like you. Vanessa isn't my daughter but..."

"No. Your daughters Vanessa and Eep are like you. They love you but always forget to say it, just like you forget to tell them. Vanessa may not be your flesh and blood but she sees you as her father."

Grug ponders this. A change comes over Grug. He focuses on Guy, this his Grug hard. "I guess I was busy keeping them all alive."

Guy shrugs his shoulders and smiles "It's okay. That's what dads do."

Grug smiles and starts to regard Guy in a different light. He sees him not as a boy but as a man. Someone good enough for his little girl Vanessa "That's right...but we can't do that from here. We need one of your ideas. Come on. You can do it."

Buoyed by Grug's encouragement, Guy swings into action mode as the sound of a roar is heard in the distance. "Belt! Emergency Idea Generator, activate!"

Belt pulls out a rock and hits the side of Guy's head.

"Ow!... Oh, I've got it!"

☆☆☆☆

Belt smoothes out the butterfly from the top of the female Macawnivore puppet "Ta-daaaaaa," Belt said.

"Wow," Grug looked at it amused.