Chapter 2: Off To Class

I shuddered, sitting down at my desk as the rain droplets rolled off of my hair and formed on my desk. As I felt someone hit the back of my head. It was my friend, Sal. He beamed. His long blue hair tied up in a ponytail. He was scrawny for a boy. All brain and no brawn. 

"Hey loser, did you do that math homework? Algebra is killing me. Like seriously. I don't know how you do that stuff." I shook my head as I spoke. feeling the rain from my hair hit my neck. 

"Less of the math homework, more so on your Mum. How is she with last night? There were more murders last night on her shift, how is she coping? Is she in a bad mood?"

I could feel eyes turning my way as peoples conversations came to a halt. I sighed. "Sal can we talk about this some other time? I'd rather not do it... Here..." Sal nodded. As the classroom began to fill. As the teacher eventually trailed in. droning on and on about quadratic equations. The class fell silent as we put our heads down to work. 

That's when I got a strange feeling. My spine shivered, as my whole body clenched. I could feel it. That feeling of someone maliciously staring at you. I cocked my head to look out the window. I was too far away to see out of it. As the rain didn't help either. I could only see the flow of the rain on the window. I shook it off, I'm probably being paranoid again. I thought to myself. But for the rest of the day I couldn't shake that feeling. 

Class ended. As I walked to the next one. Sal turned to face me whilst I was walking. I stepped on his feet and stepped back. "What's wrong?" I asked. 

"Well now can you tell me this hallways loud enough so no one will hear us if we whisper." His eyes pleaded as he did. But his face was more serious this time. I grew annoyed. I didn't mind Sal asking I was more annoyed that there were other people around us. I beckoned him down to my height as I whispered in his ear. 

"She was oddly in a good mood, so they must have found something. Maybe DNA or a clear shot of their face. But I know she's still worried and-" My whispers were cut short by something thwaking me in the back. My head knocked off the wall as I put my hands out to catch my body falling onto the wall. Sal grabbed my arm pulling me back up. I turned a 180 to face who or what this was. 

It was Grace. I glared at her. 

"Oh Sally boy won't you fall in love with me already? Oh (Y/N) What are you going to do, call Mommy on me?" Grace faked a swoon as she mimicked my voice. As she laughed, she was alone. Sal glared at her. 

"Fuck off and go break a falsie bitch. Leave us alone." Sal sneered. Looking down at the girl, which made his fringe come forward and cover his eyes slightly. Grace stepped forward, as I grabbed Sals' arm and pulled him down the corridor to out next class. He turned his head to stare her down one last time before we turned the corner. 

"Why didn't you let me say anything else to her?" He asked, fixing his hair as we turned into the classroom. 

"Because I don't want to feed her crippling ego more than we've already fed it. Besides I don't want people to know anything about my Mom more than they already do. I could care less about the love jokes they make between us either." I stated, sitting down at my desk as I plopped my bag next to me. Sal sat next to me. 

"I know you don't want anyone knowing that you're ace but maybe if you told people they'd leave us alone?" I asked. 

"(Y/N) I don't want to tell anyone else yet, I'm not ready. Besides it's none of their business. Let's just leave it at that okay?" He looked a little guilty as he sat his books onto the desk. I decided not to say anything else and think. As the class began to fill.