chapter eight: i can't tell her... not yet

jake trailed behind the group for the whole walk back to the hotel, until they reached their floor, where he went to the front of the group and walked to his room swiftly.

"what's up with him?" danny asked.

everyone shrugged their shoulders.

"we should leave him for a little bit, you know how he gets." josh stated simply.

"i'll check up on him later." sam said as he turned the knob to his hotel door, "now i'm going to have a well deserved nap." he added.

the group laughed, before they all said their goodbyes as sam and danny went off into their own hotel rooms.

amber turned to josh and smiled, before the two walked slowly back to their rooms.

"i'm assuming we're not going out tonight again?" amber asked, and josh shook his head.

"i think everyone will want to be ready for tomorrow." josh stated.

amber furrowed her eyebrows, "what's tomorrow?" she asked.

"oh, we just have a photo shoot, nothing special." he answered.

"right." amber nodded.

"you can join us... i- we enjoy your company." josh said.

amber smiled over to him once again, "thanks."

amber and josh stopped out front of their hotel rooms.

"i'll see you tomorrow." amber said as she pulled out her keycard.

"if you get bored at all, i'm here. i'm doubt i'll be having any naps." josh said, rubbing the back of his neck as he smiled.

"i'll keep it in mind." amber said with a smile.

the two parted ways, going off into their own hotel rooms.

amber now felt her eyelids get heavy despite it still being bright outside. she didn't even change out of her clothes, instead she just pulled herself into the comfort of the sheets, then drifting off into a deep slumber.

though soon enough amber awoke, and she tapped on her phone to see the time,

12:46am

amber definitely didn't expect to sleep this long.

she sighed and stuffed her phone into her back pocket, then diving into her jacket pocket that was resting on her bedside table, eventually fishing out a packet of cigarettes and a lighter.

she stood up and walked over to the balcony door, pulling out a singular cigarette and chucking it on the table before pulling open the sliding door and closing it behind her.

she lit her cigarette and stuffed the lighter in her pocket.

as amber puffed out smoke she listened to the wind blow against the trees below her, and the occasional car driving along the road.

suddenly, someone cleared her throat from beside her.

amber quickly looked over to see a figure standing on the balcony next to hers, also smoking a cigarette.

amber squinted her eyes and soon noticed who the mysterious person was.

"jake?" she asked.

"that's me." he replied, amber smiled.

"what are you doing up so late?" amber asked.

"couldn't sleep." jake said as he puffed out smoke, "you?" he then asked, looking over to amber.