S3E1 Chapter Eleven

JOHN

"I gotta get back to the bridge," Talla said, getting up stiffly from the couch.

John knew an I-got-caught-making-out look when he saw one.

Gordon and Talla? He would have never thought. When had this started developing? Was this why Gordon was always so busy lately?

Talla brushed past him and avoided his eyes, while Gordon attempted to zip up a bag overstuffed with some kind of red, paper currency.

"Gordon," John said. "Tell me what I just saw, was exactly what I think I saw."

"Huh?" He abandoned the zipping attempts and dragged the gym bag behind the couch instead.

"Was Talla just about to kiss you?" John asked more directly.

"No."

"Yes, she was."

"I guess." Gordon stood up and ran his hands through his hair.

"You guess?" John said. "How are you not doing backflips right now? She's... hot!"

"I..." Gordon shook his head. "I gotta get back to the bridge."

John checked the time, there was like 15 minutes left of the work day. He'd gone to the bridge to see if Gordon wanted to hang out after work, but Gordon hadn't been there so he came here.

"You're going back for the last 15 minutes?" John asked.

"Yeah. I have work ethic."

John rolled his eyes and Gordon walked out the front doors. He stopped just outside and turned to wait for John to leave as well.

"Come on, man," John pleaded. "I wanna hear about this!" He gestured behind him towards the couch.

"Sure, yeah. Tonight." Gordon looked up and down the hall. He seemed more edgy than usual.

"Tonight?" John asked.

Gordon shrugged. "Yeah. Later."

"When later?"

"I don't know..."

"How come you haven't been answering any of my messages?"

"I have." Gordon pulled out his hand-held and popped up the screen. "Oh."

"You're literally ignoring me daily now."

"I'm not! I've just been busy."

"Busy."

"Yeah."

"Doing what?"

"Learning Krill."

"Learning Krill?" John suddenly realized what the currency in the bag must be. It had to be Krill currency. They were orbiting Krill at the moment. But why would Gordon need that much Krill currency? His eyes went wide when he put two and two together. "Dude," he said, grabbing Gordon's arm. "What are you doing with all that money?"

"What money?" Gordon said.

So this was the game he was going to play. But John was smart, literally smarter than everyone on board, other than Isaac.

Gordon pulled away from John's grasp and headed down the hall.

"Hold up," John said, going after him. "You've got a bag of money in your quarters. We're orbiting Krill. The only thing that could cost that much is this cloning business. What in the world are you trying to clone?"

Gordon stopped walking. "Holy crap, you're smart."

"I know I'm smart, now tell me what harebrained scheme you're planning, which is likely not smart, or I'm going to report you to the Captain."