S3E1 Chapter Seven

BORTUS

"So it is not because I am upset with Klyden, that this is happening?" Bortus said to Dr. Finn.

The exam room doors were closed and there were no nurses mulling about doing their lab tests and duties, so Bortus had told the doctor his embarrassing secret, which for a Moclan Male was very not easy to do.

"Well, I can't answer that without taking time to do more counseling sessions with you," Dr. Finn said, looking down at the medscanner in her hand. 

Bortus was up on the examination table after having just received an injection for a headache. The pain had stopped, but the headache still seemed to be there, just hidden now by the medicine. He'd felt tired lately and a lot of it had to do with the discord between him and Klyden.

"Have you ever heard of post-coital dysphoria?" the doctor asked him.

"I have not."

"It's part of human physiology but I believe your species may have some similarities. The condition can result in feelings of sadness, irritability or sometimes even anger, after the...sexual event. You mentioned feeling like you want to be left alone, afterward, and not wanting to be touched."

"That is correct."

"Well, that's common for those who suffer from PCD."

"Klyden believes there should be positive feelings afterwards and...cuddling."

Dr. Finn smiled and shrugged her shoulders. "What can I tell you, it's a combination of hormone and chemical balances, and psychology. It goes away after a few days to a week, following the act. Then you'll feel like cuddling again."

Bortus thought about this. It seemed accurate. Even before the incident with Topa, where Klyden would not consent to have their child be spared the mandatory sex change, Bortus had always had this 'condition,' as the doctor put it, of wanting to distance himself immediately after the sexual event, followed by feelings of dissatisfaction and depression. The sexual event was not talked about on Moclus, outside of one's own sexual partner, but Bortus always believed one was supposed to feel powerful and satiated, after the act, which had never been the case for him. He loved Klyden, but after the Topa incident, he no longer tried to pretend he enjoyed post coital contact. In fact, he avoided it all together and got caught up in pornography instead. At least after a guilt ridden session of holodeck porn, he could justify feeling unhappy, irritated and upset following the act.

"So, you can give me hormone injections?" he asked. "To remedy this condition?"

"It doesn't exactly work that way," Dr. Finn replied. "There are too many variables and the levels would need to be adjusted each time." She set her mediscanner down. "Listen, this doesn't have to be a huge roadblock in your relationship. Just explain it to Klyden and find a compromise. Maybe he can give you space after the sexual event and you can give him cuddling time once you've come out of the PCD blues. Just change the timing of things around a bit and I'm sure it can work for both of you."

Bortus's shoulders relaxed. That did sound a lot better. Klyden got extra clingy and needy right after the sexual event, and it made Bortus even more irritable and withdrawn. If he could get a little space afterward he was sure his mood would pick up a few days later and he wouldn't mind time with Klyden then.

"Thank you, doctor," Bortus said. He admired Dr. Finn and found her parental air very comforting.

"No problem." She gave him a nod.

"When can we come in again for marital counseling?"

"I'm sorry, Bortus. At this time I'm only taking appointments that need immediate attention, rather than those that require long term sessions."