𝟏𝟓. The Moonlight Escapade

Start from the beginning

The cold breeze pricked her cheeks, rendering them a rosy hue.

"Why did you stop?" she whispered when the silence grew too loud. He turned to look at her, confused, so she went on. "That night on the beach. Why did you stop?"

It was clear from his expression that he wasn't expecting that. It wasn't fair of her to ask. But despite her wishes to do so, Marion just couldn't seem to leave it in the past.

He hesitated and then said, eyes darker than she'd ever seen them. "Because if anything were to happen between us, I'd want ye to remember every moment of it."

Marion's breath caught.

Her neck tingled.

"Jack..." she said slowly, wary of his every movement. "You know nothing will ever happen between us again. It can't."

To her surprise, he didn't look disappointed. Quite the contrary—he was smirking.

"Keep tellin' yerself that, darling."

It was then that James decided to show up, and Marion quickly angled herself away from the pirate, not wanting to be seen consorting with him. The commodore eyed them sceptically and then tossed Jack his compass.

"With me, Sparrow."

He glanced back at her, lips curled upwards as if he knew something she did not, and then he was gone.

Not an hour later, the Isla de Muerta lay dark and menacing on the horizon. The clouds shifted and the glow of the full moon doused the deck in silvery light. James was looking through a spyglass, trying to determine the best plan of action to storm the caves, when Marion finally mustered the courage to speak to him. She'd dwelled on it ever since her and Jack's conversation and decided that she couldn't let him risk his life without knowing the full story. He might not believe her—she certainly wouldn't have—but he had sailed the seas for over a decade. Surely he was aware that the ocean held many secrets, including those of mystic properties.

"Marion?" he asked, surprised, as she climbed the steps to the helm. "What are you doing out here?"

"I'm..." She drew in a deep breath, calming her nerves. "I'm afraid I haven't been entirely truthful with you, sir." This earned his attention and he lowered the spyglass, worry etching into his features. "There is something you need to know—about what lies in those caves—"

"Nothing!" came Jack's voice as he hurried across the deck and stepped in between them, flailing his arms. "Nothing but superstitious nonsense I kept her entertained with on the island." He leaned in closer to James, making him recoil in disgust. "Pretty thing as she is, the girl seems to have lost a marble or two. I blame the heat. Life at sea has defeated the sanity of lesser men, or uh, women."

Marion scowled, attempting to move past him. "I am perfectly clear-headed, thank you very much, which is why I must warn you—"

It was James who interrupted this time. "That the pirates in there are of the most vile and bloodthirsty kind? Yes, I'm aware. But you mustn't concern yourself with it, Miss Swift. Everything is well in hand."

"No, you don't understand," she tried, more desperate now. "These men aren't human, they're monsters!"

"Yes, I am unfortunately well-acquainted with such creatures, but I can assure you the situation will be dealt with swiftly."

She was about to speak again when Jack beat her to it. Could he not refrain from sticking his nose into their conversation for one damn second?

"Be that as it may, commodore, perhaps it's not wholly wise to compromise the young miss' safety by havin' her mill about on deck. She's a devious little thing. Might see it fit to follow after us, and by doing so, blow said operation into a three-ring circus, aye?"