Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"I'll speak with the elders."

"You'll do more than speak with them, Joshua. You'll bloody force them to comply or they can kiss their lives goodbye." With that the - still unnamed - girl turned on her stilettos and strutted out of the restaurant. She didn't look back as the door slammed shut behind her.

As I tried to piece together what had just happened Dad walked over to me and sat down. He was dazed and we sat in silence before he got up and started rushing the three remaining tables to leave.

"I'll be out tonight - can you stay at Celia's?" Dad asked as we got into his rundown truck, I nodded. Celia was my Dad's ex-wife, I didn't really like her - she was a bitch. I knew Celia would be at whatever important meeting was about to go down with the higher-ups of the coven so I wouldn't have the annoyance of dealing with the infuriating woman my Dad had - for a reason unknown to me - married when I was a few months old.

Abbe's POV:

I attempted to relax my racing mind as I headed down the street. My heels clicking against the cobblestone, people stared, my presence not going unnoticed by the supernaturals of the town. Everyone was on edge.

My thoughts kept returning to the young girl sitting alone at a table in Johnath's restaurant. Multiple times his eyes had flicked to her, and his anxiety at my presence tripled when he'd caught sight of her watching our conversation. I wanted to know who she was but I didn't want to hurt her, a feeling foreign to me was nagging at my brain. An animal instinct, ingrained in my being and it wanted me to protect the girl. Why? I didn't even know her name.

"Genie Santos." I sang her name as I waltzed into the empty art studio. My old friend, and ex-fling, paused at my voice before confusedly turning to face me.

A grin formed on her lips as she took in my appearance, "Didn't think you'd be back here, Abbe... ever." We embraced, kissing each other on the cheek. "But, that doesn't mean I'm not glad to see you. The last fifteen years have been a bore without you."

"I agree, Darling. But I'm back for a reason. Maria seems to have gone missing while looking into some assassination attempts on my life and that of my family. She texted me to come back here before she seemingly dropped off the face of the earth." I sighed, accepting the glass of scotch Genie offered me.

"Maria's back?" She reiterated, shocked, her lips parting and my eyes raked over them before flicking back to her eyes.

"I take it you don't know where she is?" She shook her head with a frown on her face. "I threatened Joshua a few minutes ago, the Coven will be scrambling tonight. He definitely knew something, he was way too skittish." I shrugged it off and let my eyes wander to where Genie had placed her hand. I met her eyes as she ran her fingers along the belt on my jean shorts.
Our lips were on each other's in seconds, hot breath and moulding bodies. We collapsed on the king-sized bed never letting our skin cease to touch. A night of old memories, sex and fun followed.

I woke to the sound of a whistle, a catcall one. I groaned and turned my face into the crook of Genie's neck as someone flicked the lights on. Our legs were still intertwined and one of my arms draped over her body. The light sheet over us was thin and the two new vamps in the room were having a time with their comments.

"God, Diego! Knock!" Genie snapped, and I recognized the name. He had been in his early twenties last time I'd seen him, human.

"Didn't realize you had sex with vamp chicks now." Another voice laughed, clearly not bothered by the fact. After all, both were vampires, Rahul had been newly turned, 20 years prior, the last time I'd seen him. Genie was a witch, and an old one at that. Born in 1899 she'd been able to pause her aging to the point where she still looked to be 19.

"Shut up."Genie groaned, like me, she wasn't a morning person.

"What time is it?" I mumbled, face still hidden.

"Eleven AM." Genie answered, turning slightly to see the clock. I made a sound of irritation as I pushed myself up, expertly brushing my hair to the side and sliding out of bed.

As I stood, I ignored the wandering eyes of all three individuals on my naked body and sorted through Genie's closet. After deciding on a cropped shirt I gathered my bra, underwear and shorts I'd been wearing yesterday. My shirt was unsalvagable.

"I'm borrowing your shirt, Love." I mumbled as I pulled on the clothes.

"But I like you so much better without one." Genie pouted and I stuck my tongue out at her.

"I'm not sure the elders will agree with you there." I said before looking at the two vamps in the doorway. "Nice to see you again, boys." I then left the apartment, heading towards the Church.

The Vencie Chruch had been the meeting place of the witches for as long as this little town had hosted a coven, over 500 years strong. It was an absolute masterpiece of architecture and a sacred place for the Lamia coven.

I walked through the massive entrance, smirking at the familiar, though ageing, faces of the coven that cowered away from me as I walked further in.

"Welcome, Abbe Mikaelson." Regie bellows. As a witch, the leader, and an elder himself, Regie was powerful with and without the coven. But I wasn't scared, not of him. I was scared of those that whispered in his ear from the Otherside. Those like my Mother.

"I believe you have someone to let free." I respond, getting straight to the point. I normally wouldn't be so straightforward, but I was on edge. Maria was not here.

"I wish I could, but that is not possible at the moment." I immediately glared at the old man, dropping my smirk.

"And why is that?" I growl, some look frightened, but not the important ones. I want to make them scared. I want them to fear for their lives.

"Maria is a threat to the world." I knew what that meant. She'd found something. Something they couldn't let get out, something so secret they were willing to risk my wrath for. But they'd underestimated me. Because I wasn't the same person I was back when I lived here.

I smirked at Regie before speeding at a random witch, there were sudden screams of protest as I tilted her head sideways, bearing her neck to my fangs. I paused when my teeth grazed her flesh and I could feel the relief of the coven members who were attempting to stop me with their magic, thinking they succeeded. But the higher-ups knew the truth. I could see it in their eyes when I met each of the elder's eyes before pulling away from the woman's neck.

"Oh, my apologies, I wouldn't want to ruin my shirt." I smirked at them, the witch in my grasp shook in fear, her blood pumping delightfully hard. "You see, it's Gucci." I explained before snapping her neck. I stood there as she fell to the floor with a thump.

"You all underestimate me. Last you saw I was hiding, running." I hissed, stepping over the dead body as everyone stood frozen in fear and terror. "But, that's changed, I'm no longer running. My family is alive and murderous as ever and Mikael is dead." I said, deathly cold. The threat was clear. If they could bearly deal with me years ago, when I was keeping a low profile, how could they ever deal with me now? "Maria is returned to me by the full moon, or it's war."

The full moon was in three days. Plenty of time for them to try and fail to kill me as I find out their secrets and take revenge for Max. His sister killed the coven responsible for the deed but I'll kill the one responsible for hiring them.