𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚂𝙸𝚇𝚃𝙴𝙴𝙽 -school and compassion-

Beginne am Anfang

She decided she would go to Alexander's house.

The usually dark grey coloured cobblestone of the street now had this slight blue shadow over it, making it darker, but prettier, her naked feet looked white in comparison.

She had many questions and thought in mind but the biggest one was:

Why couldn't her parents be proud of her too?

She knew they loved her, but she wanted their recognition, their validation.

Why couldn't she just have that? Why wasn't she like Frieda?

She looked up at the blue door in front of her, she figured that Alexander would probably be in his bedroom already, that einzeller always went to bed so awfully early.

She ran to the side of the house, looking up at his window, the lights were on, the light made an orange like colour in Alex's room, hers was more yellow.

She picked up a grey brown stone, covered in dirt and without really thinking threw it at his bedroom window. I didn't even get the time to tell her how bad of an idea that was. Thankfully it didn't crack. God knows what would have happened if it had shattered into pieces. Although Helga was nice most of the time—and couldn't become threatening even if it were to save her life—she could get angry.

Like any other human

The sound of the rock hitting the window did however alert Alexander, which was exactly what Heidi had intended.

My human's cheeks burnt from all her tears, they were hot, salty and flushed red. She was angry, she was sad, and she needed her friend. At first her friend looked scared, terrified even, and for a split second he looked furious, but when

Alexander noticed Heidi in her pitiful state, a face expression I couldn't decipher appeared on his face. He slowly opened his window.

"What is it, mädchen?" He asked with a bit of urgency, already halfway out of the window. Heidi first shook her head, unable to speak and Alexander climbed out of his window, unlike Heidi, he had a room on the first floor of his house.

"What is it, mädchen? Alexander repeated calmly.

She didn't answer and let him give her a hug, before she finally spoke.

"I hate Frieda." she said. "I hate her, I hate her, I hate her!...But I want to be like her."

Now, I might be wrong, but I believe Heidi was very good at speaking, not that she spoke much, but when she did she said much, she worded what she felt and that was a great quality of hers. She rarely held back when it mattered, but Heidi happened to have an abstract view of what mattered and what didn't.

***

"Don't listen to anyone who may be mean to you, Heidi, don't go out of your way to be like everyone else, don't let anyone put you down" Those were the wise words of Wilhelmina Seide before her sister's first day of school. They remained in Heidi's mind for long, for years in fact, like a slight echo,  a voice in her head that never truly went away. She whispered them under her breath as the big, pale, beige and terribly boring building of her school became clearer and bigger in front of her.

You can do this Heidi, I told her.

Her and Alexander had barely said a word to each other that morning, despite them walking the entire way to school together. Many children had joined them along the way, all looking more stressed than the other.

Humans can truly be adorable, they all looked terrified as they entered the school yard, to the point I wanted to give them all a reassuring hug. They had nothing to fear.