Shadow nearly collided heads with her as she found a last scrap of cheese. Politely, the brown-pelted male sat on his haunches and looked away- a passive action that gave Flare the right to eat it.

She grabbed it from between the blades of grass and licked Shadow's muzzle greatfuly. Then, a slab landed right on his head- frantically, Shadow tried to knock it off of his forehead. His clumsy paws didn't hit it for several seconds, and when he finally did it fell onto his leg with a slap. Stuck there, the bright-colored cheese was a splash of color against Shadow's red-brown pelt. Watching it all unfold, Flare couldn't help but nearly explode with laughter.

The tan dog turned away to watch the human, knowing she owned the hand that had tossed the cheese onto Shadow. Soon, she felt his eyes boring into the back of her skull, and privately wondered why Shadow stared at her so often.

But unfortunately, the tall hairless figure with scraps of pelt across her torso and legs swiveled around to leave. So no more scraps, then.

"Flare."

The young female dog stiffened as she watched the door close. When Shadow said her name, it was usually followed by something serious.

She turned around to look, and was confused to see Shadow's gaze softer than silk. He licked his lips nervously and had his floppy ears pinned back, but was still trying to meet her gaze whole-heartedly.

Why is he looking at me like that? Flare felt uncomfortable. She didn't step closer to better hear him just yet.

"I was just wondering..." Shadow dragged out his words. Flare tilted her head, a bit impatient.

"...if that lick meant anything." He gave his tail a small wag, but Flare didn't.

"Yeah. It meant thanks," she finalized. Flare felt an tiny itch on her back, probably a flea, so she twisted to bite at it. Distracted, she listened to her stomach gurgle. The food had been great, and she was thankful, but couldn't she ever get full?

"Flare. I meant, more like- did the lick mean more than that."

She straightened her shoulders and let her ears fall. Shadow was being difficult, for some reason.

"More than what? A thank you's a thank you." She was beginning to feel a bit suspicious, and narrowed her eyes. Was Shadow trying to hold something over her by sharing the cheese? Did he regret giving it to her?

"I MEAN do you like me?" The brown dog sounded exasperated at this point, but he stayed sitting and pleadingly looked at Flare. She could hardly hold his gaze.

"As a friend," she said aloud. Shadow's hopeful look didn't waver yet.

"I meant as more than a friend. Like Grey Dog and Mocha were. Like m-mates." Shadow staggered on the word, and Flare's heart twisted for him. She knew she couldn't answer right away, without a careful reply.

He's so hopeful that I'll want to be mates. I didn't know he liked me like that! Flare felt a bit of panic start to erupt, but she shoved it down best she could.

The tan dog supposed that the constant staring at her when she wasn't looking, finally made sense. And Shadow protecting her, trying to sleep close to her every night? That stuff meant something the whole time. Her mouth suddenly felt very dry.

I know I can't lie to him. I just... Don't like him like that. Flare couldn't find any particular reason that she wanted a love interest right now, let alone for it to be Shadow. If I was in love, I'd know it. Right?

Stop second guessing yourself.

"I'm sorry, Shadow." Flare tried to let him down easy. "I really like you as a friend, but I haven't felt that way about any other dogs yet." She hoped this wouldn't ruin their friendship. For the first time, Flare searched his eyes for some sign.

Shadow was crestfallen, though. He avoided her gaze and was obviously trying not to appear hurt. Shut down, the male didn't speak for several heartbeats. When he did, it appeared to be a struggle.

"It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm... Altered, right?"

"Of course not," Flare stated right away. Shadow's personality was divine, but Flare just didn't feel close enough to him yet. Truth be told, she hadn't let herself open up to Shadow much. She was skittish and had hardly found herself out, let alone whether she wanted a mate.

"If I'm being honest, that has hardly crossed my mind," Flare admitted. She didn't care that Shadow was uninterested in mating; so was she. Shadow nodded and appeared to be the slightest bit reassured. Still, with the way that the male got up slowly and went to get a drink, she could tell that something may have changed between them.

He really believed that I was going to say yes, she thought as she watched the skinny male's shoulders curve to take a drink of water. I'm sorry, Shadow...

________________________________________________________________________________
Flare colored sketch that I just finished(her ears are supposed to be darker): 

________________________________________________________________________________Flare colored sketch that I just finished(her ears are supposed to be darker):