The King's Secret Pt.2

Start from the beginning

"All of it. Eat as much as you want." Bakugou encouraged, digging into his own meal in hopes of making Shoto more comfortable with his own.

It seemed to work because soon Shoto had eaten everything and was looking sleepy. Bakugou, although not used to the unusual custom, waited outside whilst Shoto got changed into a thick dark blue tunic, undershirt and brown pants with boots.

"Bakugou?" Shoto called out from inside the tent, sounding hesitant.

"Yeah?"

"Um, can I have some help please?"

Upon re-entering, Bakugou found Shoto struggling with the tie at the back of the tunic. It wasn't complicated, just two over-crossing knots, but he supposed it wasn't typical for Shoto to wear so it probably was daunting.

"Sure. I'll teach you how to do it later." Bakugou promised as he stood behind the boy, slowly tying the knots to make sure the clothes fit properly. "You can have new clothes too, when we get back home."

Shoto hummed, in a neutral tone that had the blond raising a brow. Did he say something or was Shoto simply tired, he wasn't sure. Either way, once he finished tying the tunic he moved to stand in front of the boy to make sure everything was fine. He was still struggling to understand these feelings in his chest, ones that made it clench with a mixture of emotions he was yet to name.

"You okay?" he asked, but didn't get a response as Shoto let his gaze drop to the ground. "Shoto?" he asked again, putting a hand below the boy's chin to lift his head up.

Shoto flinched slightly at the contact, fists clenching as he took in a panicked breath. He forced himself to push past the pictures in his mind and instead focus on the vermillion eyes staring back at him. He opened his mouth to speak but his words got caught in his throat, so all that escaped was a pathetic, choked sound that made his chest tighten and breaths thin.

"Shoto?" Bakugou asked again, feeling worry at the sudden change in Shoto's eyes.

Body moving before his mind could catch up, the blond pulled Shoto into his arms, holding him close in hopes that his warmth would lessen the shaking in his shoulders. His cloak was too far out of reach - flung onto his makeshift bed - so he hoped his naturally warm body temperature would be enough.

"You're safe, it's okay. Deep breaths Shoto, you're safe now."

Shoto's eyes were squeezed shut, chest stiff as he couldn't get any air out. The whole day had caught up to him, the emotion he had buried down for so many years rushing to the surface so violently that he didn't know how to deal with it. It was too much, too much, why was he so dizzy, too much-

"Shoto! Shoto hey, please breathe! You're safe, you're- Shoto?!"

Shoto's legs gave way, his weight leaning onto Bakugou, and the surprise sent them both to the floor. His eyes widened with panic that only decreased slightly when he saw the rising and falling of Shoto's chest. Hurriedly, he picked the boy up and carried him to the bed, eyes scanning for any traces of pain in his expression before rushing off to find help.  

One of their eldest healers checked over Shoto and said that he was simply tired and most likely reacted due to some triggering action. She said to keep him comfortable and give him water when he woke up; Bakugou was thankful that he was okay, but also that the healer didn't ask any questions about the mysterious boy. Yet as she left his thankfulness turned to guilt. He was the only person in the room and so his actions must have triggered Shoto into his panicked state. Somehow, he felt that he had failed Shoto. He promised that he would free him and bring him to safety, yet the boy was still suffering now at his hands.