« 34 » MADDY PEREZ | Always been you

Start from the beginning

Just as she's about to run after you, her phone rings.

Nate.

She mutters a few low curses to herself and heads toward the Ferris Wheel, hoping the fight between you two wasn't as big of a deal as she thought.

-

And she was wrong. So wrong. You hadn't talked to her since, no matter how many gazes she sent your way in the halls.

Even once she had approached you, an apologetic smile on her face as she nervously played with the string of her hoodie. Just as she was about to speak you walked away from her without a word, shattering her confidence, but mostly her heart.

She fucked up.

That was all she could think as her finger hovered above the button, and the thought was enough to send hot tears down her face.

She wanted to tell you she didn't mean it. How could she? That's not what she really thought of you at all. If anything she loved the attention you gave her, and that it was for her only, but she'd never admit it, nor the fact that you were better than Nate ever could be.

She couldn't bring herself to call you. Not like this. Not for you to push her away again after she said something reckless. She couldn't break either of your hearts again.

But it seemed hers had a mind of its own as she ended up at your doorstep, drenched by the pouring rain. She stands in front of the door in tears, staring at it as if it'd open on its own to let her in. What would she even say if she saw you?

She shakes her head, turning back around swiftly. She was stupid for even coming here.

Not even three feet away, the door swings open.

"I was wondering if you were going to knock, guess not," you murmur somewhat upsetly.

She turns to look at you. She immediately sees the bags under your eyes, then them being puffy and red as if you'd been crying too, but you were wearing one of the hoodies she got you for your birthday and some sweats.

"You look like shit, by the way," you say with a grin, leaning against the frame of the door, eyes scanning her. You don't get to see her like this often, you figured there was more to her almost vulnerable and mainly disheveled appearance than your argument a night ago.

"Y/n-" she pauses to compose her wavering voice, "I'm so fucking sorry."

"For which part? Your bruised ego? The puppy thing? Or maybe even when you-"

"This isn't about my ego- Y/n, I'm sorry for all of it. For what I said. I didn't mean it, please," she begs weakly, taking a step forward. She wasn't exactly sure what she was begging for, she never thought it'd be this way, her begging for someone else to forgive her, to stay.

After what happened today with Nate, things just kept surprising her it seems. Especially herself.

You sigh slowly, staring down at her. "I know."

You open the door wider, stepping to the side. "Come on, get your ass out of the rain," you say teasingly and she manages a smile. As soon as she steps inside you close the door behind you both.

Before she can say anything your arms wrap around her, pulling her into you, despite her being soaked in water.

"Why are you here, Mads?" you ask softly, breaking the silence.

Her bottom lip trembles as she thinks about everything again. She'd be so consumed with apologizing to you she'd forgotten what'd made her this way in the first place.