Maybe I could take Onika there. Or even Imani because there's a bakery.

"Can I ask your name again? I realize you never told me, I apologize."

"Monica Arnold."

She gave me a toothy smile and I smiled back. "Nice to officially meet you."

"Where are you from? I can hear the south all in how you talk."

"Houston."

She made a sound of disapproval and playfully looked around the room.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Mm nothing. You should look in the bag and see what's on there then I'll leave, I know this is your free time."

I didn't mind, Onika didn't show up so at least I have a new friend I can talk to. I think they would like each other, they're both moms.

I opened the bag and the first thing I noticed was Spider-man cookies. "Spider-man?!"

"Yeah, we just started selling those because of the new movie and the one coming out."

"You mean Morbius?"

"Mhm, it's a shame my son got my grown ass into this whole spider verse thing. I'm obsessed now."

"Really? Me too! I love Marvel movies in general."

"Maybe we should go watch it together?"

"Yeah, maybe." I'll have to talk to Onika first. I'm not about to be broken up with for going for the movies with a female friend. Maybe she could come too.

"Is that your wife?" She pointed to a picture of me and Kelly. She was still on my side of my desk.

"No." I laughed at the fact everyone think I'm with Kelly. That's incest first of all. "That's my best friend."

"Oh." She smiled, "She's really pretty that's why I was asking."

"Thank you."

"Well I'm going to get going but it was nice talking to you, don't forget about the business card."

"Okay bye, it was nice talking to you too." It actually was, it made my lunch go by faster since Onika didn't come.

She started walking out and looked back and waved. She left and I tried to the cookie. I was moaning eating the cookie, it was that good.

Lunch was about to end and Onika still hadn't called me. I sent her a couple texts asking her if she was okay but she didn't answer so I called her.

She answered, "Hello?"

"Hello? Are you okay?"

"I'm sorry, I had to pick Imani up from school and it- it's a lot. I haven't had time to text you back. I'm still coming to pick you up though."

"Okay. I see you're busy so I'll let you go, see you later."

"Okay bye."

I hung up and cleaned my desk up. I taught for two periods then it was the end of the day.

The boys have a lot of time in the locker rooms to get ready since practice doesn't start until 30 minutes after the dismissal bell rings.

One of the boys, Ryan, barged into my office. "Amir and Bryson are about to fight."

"Hm?"

"They're about to fight and if they fight, they can't play at states. Stop them."

I got up and walked into the locker room. I could hear yelling so I followed their voices until I found them in each other's faces.