Lions and Lambs

I woke up with a scream sticking in my throat. I quickly swallowed it, not wanted to worry Ezekiel.

It didn't take me more than a few moments to realize something was wrong.

The lights were off and it was pitch dark.

Ezekiel never left it it dark after I mentioned my totally rational fear of the dark.

I stood, fumbling blindly for a weapon on the opposite bed. My fingers closed over the cold hilt of a Seraphine Sword. The Sword could take the life from anything it touched and was blessed by seven different angels.

I crept forward silently in the pitch darkness, straining my eyes to see any form of life. Sadly, my eyes took several moments to adjust.

Once they did I could see a thin outline seated in the kitchen, silent, unmoving, waiting.

I swung my blade without hesitation, earning a loud yelp and a bright light to flash. I covered my eyes with my arm.

There was a flick and the lights were on.

A slightly disheveled looking archangel stood there, her brown hair tangled and her eyes bloodshot.

"Ariel." I managed, shock clear on my throat.

"You- you were having a prophecy. I thought you might want to stay asleep." She choked out, barely managing to form her words.

"What happened?" I asked worriedly, not liking the pain behind her eyes. Tears immediately spilled over her eyelids.

"Jonathan is dead. I couldn't stop the demons- there was too many." Ariel's name translated to Lion of God but at this moment she resembled a lamb being sent to slaughter, broken, terrified, and confused.

"Ariel-" I started, opening my mouth to continue when there was a flutter of wings and Ezekiel was there, wrapping a now crying Ariel into tight arms.

She cried into his shoulder.

"I've failed. I've failed the only job I was assigned." She sobbed, clutching at Ezekiel like he was the only thing that was holding her to the earth's skin.

"No, Ariel. You did everything you could-" There was a terrible crash and the window shattered. I screamed, taking back up the Sword and aiming it towards the window.

"Two archangels and only one prophetess. I guess the others got yours, Lion." The demon stepped inside through the shattered glass and smiled, light glinting off his teeth. "Hello, dear Verity. How're your folks?"
"I will destroy you." I growled, my voice low and feral.

The demon laughed airily.

"You don't have the strength. You know that I kill you, don't you? Or have you not got that prophecy? There're prophets for both sides, angels, so don't get any ideas. I already know what's going to happen."

The statement of prophets being on both sides shocked me. I had never seen any other prophets beside heavenly ones.

"I know what happens as well, Asmodeus. And your prophets are wrong." I swung the Sword and there was a sound similar to popping popcorn.

Then there was blackness.