Chapter 16

Day 149

Ofelia had no idea what to do. After their language lesson, Paulina had led her to the church with no other explanation than, "Sit next to His Highness Prince Knightley, be quiet, don't smile."
Ofelia, understandably clueless, frowned but followed. Paulina led her through the doors and instantly Ofelia was taken aback at the frightening number of people. A church that had been rather quiet when she had wed Knightley was now crawling with Veraltian people. Her steps slowed and people stared at her. Rows upon rows of the enormous church were piled high, ascending the walls. Her mouth fell open.
Paulina broke her astonishment with a pinch above the elbow and Ofelia followed her, stepping lightly as she was told to.

She didn't know why she was there, as far as she knew there was only one marriage ceremony. Then again, she hadn't asked either.
"What is going on?", she asked, drawing closer to Paulina.
But she didn't answer. Ofelia frowned. It was clear Paulina found great amusement in her constant confusion.
Ofelia looked around until she found Knightley, he sat on an intricate looking chair toward the end of the room, he was donned in white and gold, large, bejewelled rings on his fingers and his hair had been freshly styled, combed back in a way that hid his curls. Ofelia frowned. He had a great cloak on and as Ofelia neared him, a similar one was place upon her shoulders. It was heavy. Knightley watched her from his seated position, Ofelia shot him a dirty look. He, again, had left her to fend for herself, all alone in a world she knew nothing of. She didn't want to see him. At her glare, a perk on his lip rose. Exasperatedly, Ofelia glanced to Paulina. Her hard eyes told her to behave. She rolled her eyes but hiked up her excessive skirting to climb the steps, turning and seating herself in an overly dramatic, excessively lady like way. She then flatly looked to Paulina who nodded before turning away. Ofelia looked up to Knightley. He seemed calm, eager if anything. Whatever this ordeal was, it was good for him. Ofelia huffed; it was something power related.

Men came and went, songs started and ended, the crowd was eerily quiet, save an occasional applause. Ofelia slowly slumped in her chair.
"What is this?", she finally whispered to Knightley, her lasting irritation evident in her voice.
"You still haven't figured it out?", Knightley sniggered, swiping his thumbs past each other on his lap.
Ofelia glared at him, "Oh. My bad.", she sarcastically spat, "I guess do better next time I'm in a foreign land where I can't talk and where I'm stuck with a horrendous bitch- "
"-Shush, shush, shush.", Knightley interrupted, his amusement clear in his voice.
Ofelia shut her jaw tight, glaring daggers at him.
He lowered his head to hide his grin and cleared his throat. A part then clicked for Ofelia, as he hid his reaction, why everyone was so stiff, everything so rigid, why she was expected to act in such a strange way. Ofelia chuckled, leaning back in her chair, "Ah.", she whispered, "You've made a bad mistake, Knightley,", she stated, turning to the stage. Knightley rose an eyebrow to her, and she smirked, "I hold a power over you now."
Knightley began to ask what she meant but caught sight of her gazing across the people, her calculating eyes settling on the stage. Truly she wouldn't embarrass him on such a day. Ofelia watched as his face hardened.
"Would it be worth the punishment?", she quietly muttered, just loud enough for him to hear.
"No.", Knightley sternly concluded, "I can promise you it is not."
Ofelia laughed, tilting her head back to him, "... You're most likely right."
But still, Knightley behaved himself afterwards.

Knightley was led to a podium in the middle of the floor, misted by men in tall hats, words were said over him, he was handed an orb and sceptres, then finally a crown was summoned. Despite her indifference to the ceremony, goosebumps sprawled across her skin as the crown was lowered onto his head. It was eerily quiet, and she couldn't pull her eyes from Knightley.
That moment the light seemed to change, and it was as if the moon soldier had arrived, Knightley's purest form. Ofelia's chest contracted because of it. The stained sunlight lit him in such a way that the black of his hair then seemed purple and blue, his hands pink and orange, his cloak an assortment of the rest. He seemed to glow, a halo hovered above his crown and Ofelia lowered her eyes.
Then when she thought the ceremony was about to end, she was ushered to the same podium beside Knightley. Her heart began to hammer in her chest. She didn't dare speak with this many unknown men around her, didn't dare look at Knightley. Her hands shook when they started to sing around her. Knightley sat still, his orb and sceptre still in hand. She braced her hands on her chair, ready to rise. Still! What on earth were the doing?! Were they cursing her?
"Sit down.", Knightley firmly ground out, his eyes still on the crowds.
Ofelia froze. Why was she here?
Still, she listened to him. With all these men towering around her, any punishment by the hands of Knightley no longer seemed worth her disobedience.
Like Knightley, she was handed the orb and sceptre, and the men spoke above her. She stared beyond them into the masses, her eyes wide, frantically glancing around.