𝟏𝟕 || 𝐀 𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐈𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN. A Reminder Of What It Once Was.

    THE SET OF TARGARYEN'S, VELARYON'S AND HIGHTOWER'S sat alongside another in the dimly lit room of the Red Keep

sat alongside another in the dimly lit room of the Red Keep. The long dining table cascaded down the middle setting of the room, long chairs laid propped against it. Daenera and Rhaenyra sat beside their husbands, inches away from Alicent. None had spoken a word of what had endured only a few hours before the feast had been set, well, other than Daenera and Daemon — who giggled childishly in the corridors about Ser Vaemond's exquisite death.

The hushed voices of their children silenced as Viserys made his way into the room, two guards holding tightly onto his sitting chair as they set him gently down beside Daenera and Alicent. "How good it is... to see you all tonight... together." Viserys's words fumbled in hefty breaths.

"Prayer before we begin?" Alicent questioned her husband, who answered in agreement. "May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long. And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest." Daenera and Daemon shared mischievous looks at the mention of the corpse, sinister grins tilting onto their faces.

"This is an occasion for celebration, it seems." Viserys spoke to the table, once Alicent had finished her prayer. "My grandsons, Jace and Luke will marry their cousins, Baela and Rhaena. My beautiful granddaughter, Aeven, will marry Haerax." Viserys gently smiled to the children, who returned it. Daenera's eyes titled to her daughter, who uncomfortably sat in between Haerax and Aegon, both men ogling over the mention of her beauty. "Further strengthening the bond between our houses. A toast to the young Princes and Princess... and their betrothed."

"Well done, Haerax. You'll finally get to lie with a woman." Aegon whispered across Aeven, who stared wildly down at the Prince. Daenera's keen hearing overheard of what her brother had just spoken, causing the wine in her throat to bubble up in shock. Daenera let out a cough, wide eye staring at her little brother. Daemon patted the back of Daenera, unaware of what she had just caught.

"Let us toast as well Prince Lucerys... the future Lord of the Tides." The lot around lifted their cups gently to the ceiling, in honour of Luke's win.

Daenera leaned against the wooden chair, feeling calm as Daemon's hand caressed her cascaded hair down her back. She faintly turned to Daemon, a gentle smile tugging onto her lips in gratitude of his comfort.

"It both gladdens my heart and fills me with sorrow to see these face around the table. The faces most dear to me in all the world... yet grown so distant from each other in the years past." Viserys crookedly stood, using the table as support to hold himself upright. The clatter of his golden mask thudded against the wood, stunning the many — though, stoic unfazed looks kept themselves unnoticed of their shock. "My own face is no longer a handsome one if indeed ever was. But tonight... I wish you to see me as I am. Not just a king but your father. Your brother. Your husband and your grandsire. Who may not, it seems walk for much longer among you."