𝟎𝟕 || 𝐀 𝐆𝐈𝐅𝐓 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐄

CHAPTER SEVEN. A Gift For The Prince.

     AS THE SUN HAD FALLEN, the moon had rose to shine against the Kingswood's trees and lakes

AS THE SUN HAD FALLEN, the moon had rose to shine against the Kingswood's trees and lakes. Daenera laid limp against the wooden tree she had leant against, the tips of her fingers strumming against her shielded chest. Benton sat across from her, tending to the frail fire he had created — Ser Criston Cole alongside him, as the two shared hushed conversations.

Rhaenyra was present, as well. But chose to not make much conversation. Like Daenera, she was in no mood. The Princesses had made dramatic exits, that's for sure. The two were certain their father wasn't worried about their missing. It didn't surprise him that they'd flee during a conversation of politics.

"Princesses, I must make a final plea that we return to camp." Ser Criston spoke up, glancing around to the two princesses, who stared helplessly up to the sky.

"I rather prefer it here." Rhaenyra answered, as the knights sighed.

"His Grace is certain to be worried by your absence." Benton admitted.

"His Grace can worry himself to death if he so likes." Rhaenyra sassed, as silence overtook the four. Daenera's mind filled with thoughts of marriage — something that made her stomach sick.

"They'll never accept me." Daenera spoke out of the blue — surprising the friends huddled around the fire's circle. "The realm, that is. A woman as a Queen is not possible in their eyes." Daenera's words whispered, the glimmer of the stars shadowing in her lavender eyes. "I must marry a man I do not like, just for the acceptance of the people I'll rule over."

"Do not think of it that way, Princess." Benton responded to the girl. "They'll have to accept it — no matter the cost. Whether you marry or not, it will not matter in the end. You're the rightful heir, not your husband." Benton's eyes traveled to the sky, observing the dark. "You'll find a man who loves you, Princess."

A huff leaves Daenera's lips. "No man could ever love a woman like me." She frowns, the touch of Rhaenyra combing through her hair being felt. "I've been told I'm too violent and unpredictable to handle."

"You are anything but." Rhaenyra assured, smiling down to her sister. "I agree with the Princess Rhaenyra." Benton glanced to the youngest twin — a gentle curve of his lip forming to the girl.

"If you believe that you should be the one, I wed." Daenera cocked her head to the side, facing Benton, who's face flushed with red. "I am not sure if my father would accept that, Princess. My brother would be the one you'd want — not I."

A sigh pushed out of Daenera, knowing Benton was speaking the truth. "Ser Harwin is quite handsome." She chuckled, a laughter falling from Benton, as well.

The sudden sounds of twigs crackling spooked the four, all jumping into up right positions. Rhaenyra and Daenera shared a wide-eyed look, sparing a fast scrutinized surveillance of the area. The brush of the forest hid much, giving the two knight's reasoning to pull to a stand — needing a certified glance around the perimeter. Unexpected, a squeal of a boar came from the large berry bush — revealing the horned creature. Daenera and Rhaenyra let out gasps, backing away in shift motions as Benton and Ser Criston both were at fail when trying to seize the large pig.