"I can do it. But I need another dog's help distracting him. I know we may not be able to reach her and the puppies in there, but someone has to check for their scent!" The male's voice grew more desperate with each passing word.

The wind whistling by was the only noise heard for the next few heartbeats. Finally, Shadow stepped forward. Flare couldn't recall them ever exchanging any positive words. Regardless, the brown dog kept his tail and head at neutral positions.

"I'll do it. It may be easier for me to fit through whatever gap there is." Shadow didn't need to state that he was thinner and taller, with a much smaller head- the two males couldn't have looked more different. One is hound, after all, and the other bully-breed.

"And I agree that we should find out whether Mocha and the puppies are still in there or not." Thankfully, Grey Dog chose not to react to the possible notion of Mocha missing from the den.

Shadow caught White Dog's eye. The tall male with shredded ears gave a tiny nod of acceptance.

All of them were sure that Mocha, alongside her puppies, were probably gone.

Besides Grey Dog. Naturally, it would be harder for him to accept. Shadow is clever, halfway agreeing although we all know she isn't sick.

"She talked about her puppies a lot, you know." Grey Dog spoke stronger this time.

"She said that she had one little male that looked just like me, except with stripes on his pelt. I asked her to name him Bold, because I always wanted that name... And she did."

Quiet was the outcome again, because most were too tentative about Grey Dog's potential reaction to any comment he saw unfit. Flare privately wondered why Grey Dog hadn't named himself, but came to the conclusion that other dogs had simply disregarded his chosen name. Thus, causing him to think of himself as Grey Dog rather than something else.

Jax eventually replied, enthusiastic and bubbly.

"That's a great name, Grey Dog! N-" He broke off and bit his tongue. Nervously, Jax sat on his haunches and tried to look away from the other dogs.

"I know what you were going to say, Jax. 'Not as good as mine, though!'" He raised his voice to mock Jax's higher pitched voice.

Flare pricked her ears as she listened to Grey Dog's comment. His tone hadn't sounded agressive, at least. White Dog chuckled and Jax huffed.

"Yeah'p, you got me right there, Grey."

Before another lull in conversation occured, Shadow took up his chance to strategize.

"So how do we get the human to leave the door open? They always slam it shut, and I don't fancy a bonk on the nose tomorrow morning."

"You may have a bonk either way," Grey Dog said with a huff of laughter. The male curled his lip with a snarky look. Apparently the little hope he had left of recovering Mocha was lifting his mood.

Shadow, true to circumstance, didn't take the comment seriously.

"Sorry, I couldn't resist. It was a good joke. But anyway, we jump on their legs. They won't be expecting it as soon as they open it."

"We all do?"

"Yes." Flare thought about the idea. She didn't like being that close to the male dogs, but she knew she had to help.

"Brown Dog might get less food than us. Or even none," White Dog's hulking form pointed out seriously. Before Shadow could speak for himself, Grey Dog broke in roughly.

"Who cares? Mocha and the pups are more important than a day's loss of food." His defensive switch seemed to have turned on again, and Grey Dog sneered. Flare's repulsive nerves shot up again; she naturally wanted to turn away from the aggression.