• 𝐂hapter 53

The moment Killian collapsed in front of me, everything became a fog

The moment Killian collapsed in front of me, everything became a fog. My brain short-circuited and It wasn't until doctor Jones arrived that I regained bits and pieces of my senses.

"He'll be fine." He assured me. "He had a blackout, it occurs sometimes when you take in too much alcohol. His sugar levels were also high but I've been able to stabilize it so once he's rested, he'll be back up on his feet."

I sagged with relief, turning towards the bed to stare at Killian's still unconscious form. "Thank you very much. Thank you for coming here at such short notice."

He smiled candidly at me. "It's my job. Just make sure he stays in bed and away from alcohol."

I nodded and helped him pack up before seeing him out of the house. When I returned, Killian was still asleep, looking terribly pale with pain twisted on his beautiful face. I pulled one of the chairs in his room to the side of his bed and sat down. The level of heat radiating from the bed was quite alarming and my stomach knotted with worry when I reached out to touch his forehead and found that his skin was burning hot.

Why was he drinking?

A heaviness settled in my belly over that thought.

I pushed the hair plastered on his forehead away and glanced over at the clock. It was a few minutes past the hour of one. I wanted to sleep but I couldn't. I was tired, I was drowsy, but I did not want to sleep. Although, somewhere along the line, it felt like I had because I suddenly woke up with a crick in my neck the next morning and groaned when sunlight fanned my face.

Killian was still asleep, sweat dripping down his face and bare chest. His skin had started to regain its colors and that somewhat made me breathe down a sigh of relief.

When the blinds could no longer hold the heavy rays of sunshine that snuck in, I got up and moved quietly, trying to avoid disturbing him as I covered up the curtains.

When I shut them, I returned to my seat and picked up a clean cloth napkin, deciding to clean the sweat off his face. I leaned down to do so but his hand swooped up and grabbed mine with his eyes still closed. "What are you doing?"

My breath hitched. I immediately withdrew my hand from his tight grip. "I'm sorry, you were sweating so bad and I wanted to wipe some off you."

He raised his heavy eyelids, his indigo eyes holding mine and I felt the air in my lungs seize for a moment. "How...did I get here?"

"You came back home yesterday and suddenly collapsed, the doctor said you had a blackout," I told him, noticing how parched his lips were. "You should drink some water." I urged, grabbing the bottle I'd kept on his bedside and handing it to him but he pushed it away, spewing the water across the bed and floor.

"Oh my," I got up quickly, surveying the damage as I placed a dry cloth on the side of the bed that was now drenched.

"Did I ask you for water?"