A cold gust of wind clashed against her as soon as she exited the building, goosebumps forming on her skin as she pushed her way through the group of people that had already gathered close to the edge of the roof. As soon as Lilith made it to the front, her eyes widened. There, standing on the ledge completely still, were three people. One was a little girl that she didn't know, the other was a boy that she recognized as Lynn's kid brother, and the third one was Marlene. Though they were in severe danger of being pushed off by the wind, none of them moved. 

None of them were aware.

"What is this?" she whispered, to whoever could answer.

"We don't know," Rita replied, glancing at her with a worried frown, "Marlene just... got up from where she was sleeping and walked here. Hector and Robin came, not long after. They said they had a message for the Divergent."

Lilith clenched her jaw as her eyes flickered to the trio on the ledge, "Why hasn't anyone brought them back to safety?"

"It's too windy," a voice responded, and she looked to her other side to see Eric, "If anyone tries to grab them, they'll fall."

A closer look at Marlene's boots told her that he was right. Only half of her soles rested on the ledge, her heels jutting out from the edge of the roof. It was enough to keep her in place against the relentless wind, but one wrong move would send her down to her death before anyone could latch onto her. The children appeared to be in the same circumstances, and Lilith felt dread seeping into her body as she met Eric's gaze. He seemed worried as he glanced down at her, his fingers grazing the back of her hand, but retracting as soon as Marlene's voice cut through the silence.

"I have a message for the Divergent," she started. The coldness in her voice made Lilith shiver, "This is not a negotiation. It is a warning."

Mutters started echoing amongst the crowd. 

Out of the corner of her eye, Lilith saw Tris step forwards. Her movements were slow and careful, and she understood that the blonde was preparing herself to dive after whoever fell from the roof first. She clenched her fists as her eyes moved to Marlene again, and her legs bended slightly as she readied herself to bolt forwards as well.

"Every two days until one of you delivers yourself to the Erudite headquarters, this will happen again."

Just before anyone could ask what this was, Marlene and the two children stepped backwards, their feet losing their support on the ledge. A gasp left Lilith's lips as she threw herself in the direction of her friend, two other blurry figures diving for the children on her sides. Her outstretched hand reached out for Marlene, her fingers grazing the girl's jacket. She closed her hand, eyes widening as she realized that she had grabbed nothing but air.

Marlene fell.

The momentum made Lilith tumble over the ledge.

The world seemed to freeze. Air got caught up in the brunette's throat as her body became a victim of gravity, who pulled her down with all the strenght it could muster. Marlene fell a few feet below her, her face still emotionless, still unaware of what was going on. Unaware that she was going die. 

It all happened at the same time.

Several hands clasped Lilith's legs, holding her in the air before she could plummet down to the ground. The sudden rescue caused her to smack against the side of the building, her nose burning in pain as she dangled back and forth in the air. Trying her best to ignore the pain, she forced herself to find Marlene again. Just before she disappeared into the darkness, her features twisted into confusion, and then fear.

Lilith would be forever haunted by the sound her body made as it crashed against the cement.

A scream of pure anguish left her lips, tears rolling down her cheeks and mixing with the crimson liquid pouring from her nose.