Chapter 69: One Visit A Year And The Occasional Phone Call

Start from the beginning

She fell silent, just listening to her kid and occasionally squeezing Natasha's hand. A lot was on her mind, and Natasha was curious as to what she talked to Melina about that had her so zoned out. Luckily, the older brunette also picked up on Katya's tiredness and asked Maya to help prepare dinner.

While they retreated into the kitchen, Katya took her chance and turned to Natasha with a soft smile. As soon as their eyes locked, the rest fell away. They could always find themselves in a bubble whenever they wanted, wherever they wanted. It didn't need much.

''Is it okay if I...?'' She pointed outside, and Natasha needed no context.

''You know you don't have to ask.'' She smiled, her weird conversation with Alexei gone into the back of her mind. Him not being here made it easier, but still.

Her thoughtfulness made Katya melt, a slight pink tint on her cheeks as she gazed down at their intertwined hands. ''I don't want to leave you here alone if you don't want to be.''

''I'm good,'' Natasha assured her. ''I'll just read this newspaper.'' She grabbed it and read the front page, nodding impressively. ''Hmm, very interesting. Propaganda.''

Katya chuckled, shaking her head in amusement as she stood, planting a kiss on her head. ''You're weird.''

''Don't forget your coat,'' Natasha called after her, grabbing the garment from the back of the chair and tossing it over. It warmed Katya's heart at how thoughtful she was. ''And don't go too far.''

''I won't!'' She promised, stepping into the ice-cold air for a moment to recharge.

Natasha's eyes followed her through the windows sneakily, knowing Katya determined where the wind came from to select a place to sit, shielding behind the house. Eventually, she saw her stop through the window across from her, her head disappearing as she sunk to the ground.

Maya

Melina had already prepped a lot for dinner. Her sweet and sour beef stew had been on the fire for three hours already, and only needed thirty minutes more. With Maya, she was currently working on a potato salad, boiling the eggs and potatoes and cutting the carrots into small blocks to be added later.

The girl was careful not to cut into her fingers, remembering the way Laura taught her to use a knife and doing it slowly. If Melina thought she was too slow, she didn't say.

They worked in silence for the most part, which is what they both preferred. Occasionally, Melina would explain what she did to the food or what herbs she used as Maya listened intently.

She almost cut into her thumb when a figure walked past the window to her right, throwing a shadow through the kitchen that startled her.

Subconsciously, she stopped working and checked it out, only to spot Katya sitting down on the grass, using her long coat to protect her jeans from the dirt. It neither surprised nor worried her, quickly getting back to the chopping board.

''Does that happen a lot?'' Melina asked, so rapidly cutting the cucumber that Maya blinked and she was halfway done. These spies and their skills with a knife...

Shaking her head to snap herself out of her trance, Maya continued with the carrots. ''Yes. She calls them her recharge moments. Like charging your phone. She says they help her,'' she explained, careful not to move too much on the chair she stood on by the counter. It was quite wobbly. ''She always feels a lot better after them.''

A crease formed between Melina's brows when her brain started working, either worried or simply wondering. ''When did that start?'' Natasha had told her the bare minimum about what was going on, and that was fine, but sometimes, she worried.