Chapter 6: Beginning of a Journey

Start from the beginning

She looked up at him in surprise. "Really?"

"Yes."

"Where will we find one?"

"Most likely with the Northern Water Tribe."

The chance to learn new techniques filled her with excitement.

"And I don't want you to hide your waterbending skills anymore unless we're in a Fire Nation village," he said.

She wondered about that. "But won't that be dangerous?" she asked.

"It is rare to find a waterbender in the Earth Kingdom, but not dangerous."

Now she felt excited about being able to waterbend more freely.

"Have you ever been to the Northern Water Tribe?" she asked.

"I have not."

She started feeling worried about him as she thought about the war. "Should...should you go there?"

"Where else can we find you a teacher?" he asked.

She leaned close to him. "But if they find out who you are," she whispered, "they might imprison you or hurt you."

He gently laughed impressed by her concern for him. "You say that as if I don't deserve it."

She wrapped her hand around his arm and leaned against him. "I don't want you imprisoned or hurt," she said.

"We will hope it doesn't come to that then."

A thought came to her mind and she sat up. "You don't plan on leaving me there, do you?" she asked softly.

He was surprised she thought he might, but then he imagined her standing before a random door in a random Earth village years ago. "Only if you want me to."

She looked up at him. "No. I don't want you to leave me."

He tenderly smiled at her as he put his arm around her and held her. "Then I won't leave you."

----------------------------------------------------

As they were packing up their things getting ready to move on, Iroh briefly stopped working.

"Did you hear that?" he whispered as he resumed the packing.

She nodded, but she continued working pretending as if she did not hear anything while trying to listen for more sounds and their locations.

Just as they finished packing, they found themselves surrounded by female warriors. Chiara immediately withdrew her sword and stood back-to-back with Iroh who stood defensively. As he realized who were standing before him, he relaxed his stance and turned slightly towards Chiara.

"Put away your weapon," he said to her. "We are in the presence of the Kyoshi Warriors."

Chiara obeyed.

"It is an honor," said Iroh as he bowed.

"You may not think so after we throw you to the unagi," said one of the warriors. "Tie them up," she ordered.

Iroh calmly put his hands out allowing the warriors to bind them. Chiara was more reluctant, but she followed his lead. After blindfolding both of them, the young women guided them towards their village.

"It's a shame we can't see more of the scenery," said Iroh as he stumbled across the ground.

"Silence," demanded the warrior.

"I imagine it's a beautiful island," he continued.

"I think we're going to have to keep imagining it," said Chiara, clearly unamused by their situation.