Chapter 6 - The Decision

Carter
That phone call left me all fucked up.
I'm hurt and disappointed. Was everyone right? Did we tie the knot too fast? I'm starting to feel she doesn't love me as much as I do...
I need to distract myself and work isn't helping. I know someone who can take my mind off this...

Desirae
I had just parked in my apartment building parking lot when I heard footsteps. I turned around to see a masked man with a gun pointed at me.

Desirae : What-
Bad Guy : Give me everything you have or I'll shoot!

Desiree
I stood there frozen. I couldn't move.
My heart was beating so fast. I was shaking and I couldn't calm down.

Bad Guy : THE PURSE! NOW!

Desirae
I threw the purse at him.
He started walking backwards still pointing the gun at me making sure I wouldn't do anything. I'm too scared to do anything anyway..

And then my hero appeared. While the man was walking backwards Carter kicked and punched him from behind. He knocked out him out. He grabbed my purse from the floor and handed it to me.

Carter : Come on let's go inside before he wakes up.
Desirae : ...
Carter : Desi....

Carter
The poor girl was terrified. She wouldn't take her eyes off him. I gently wrapped my arm around her pulling closer to me trying to calm her down. She was shaking.

Carter : It's okay, I'm here, he won't do anything now. Come on..
Desirae : Okay...

Desirae
Carter's presence calmed me down a bit. He walked us inside with his arm still wrapped around me. My breathing started to slow down little by little.

Carter
She was silent. She was still in shock.
Once we walked into her apartment she broke the silence.

Desirae : Do you want something to drink?
Carter : First tell me, are you okay now?
Desirae : Yeah I'm fine now. Thank you..
Carter : In that case I'll have whiskey if you have any?
Desirae : I do!
Carter : Great!
Desirae : Not trying to kick you out or anything but why are you here?
Carter : Oh right....I needed someone to talk to.
Desirae : You have two sisters and a brother in law and you come to me?
Carter : You're easy to talk to. In this case I wanted to come to you.
Desirae : What's up?

Desirae
I handed him his drink and sat next to him on the couch.

Carter : Problems with Liz.
Desirae : Oh what happened?
Carter : Am I wrong for being upset that she puts her career over everything?
Desirae : I'm with you on that one.
I think family comes first no matter what's happening.
Carter : Exactly...
Desirae : She missed out on my high school graduation. She also missed out on my college graduation. Don't even get me started on how many holidays and birthdays too.
Carter : I thought she'd change after we got married.
Desirae : Did you talk about it before?
Carter : I just feel like things were different and easier when we were dating.
Desirae : I say talk about it.
Carter : I try but she gets all defensive.
Desirae : I'm sorry that's happening..
Carter : I'm married but it's like I'm not. I thought I'd have someone to go home to.
Desirae : I mean- she's gonna be gone for a week..
Carter : She comes back and leaves again two weeks later.
Desirae : ....
Carter : -laugh- You're trying too hard on defending her.
Desirae : I'm not defending her I'm just trying to make you feel better.
Carter : Talking to you makes me feel better.
Desirae : I feel alone sometimes you know? I come home every night to an empty apartment. No one to talk to or call.
Carter : What about Sawyer?
Desirae : Sawyer and I are just friends.
Carter : You don't see anything with him in the future?
Desirae : I have considered giving him a chance but I don't know. I don't think it's fair for him if I don't feel anything when he does for me.
Carter : We're so alike. We're both lacking affection...
Desirae : You still have Liz.
Carter : She didn't call me. I had to call first and when I did she got mad because I woke her up.
Desirae : She hates being woken up.
Carter : I know but when I called I didn't know she was sleeping.
Desirae : She's such a brat sometimes but deep down she's a sweet person.
Carter : I know but...
Desirae : You're getting annoyed..
Career : Kind of but I shouldn't.
Desirae : it's understandable though.