03 | Unsubmitted Work

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, Miss Takahashi. I truly appreciate your efforts! Oh yes, did you need anything?"

"I came to submit my work. I've completed next week's chapter, and I've put it with this week's work."

I hand them to her. I hear her say, "I thought nothing less. Impressive, Takahashi."

"Thank you, Mrs. Ito. I'll head out now."

That same feeling returns. The word lingers in my head. Impressive. Impressive. Impressive.

I can't stay in my state of satisfaction for long. I'm grabbing my bag and walking away. Ushijima walks out behind me. I'm pondering whether or not to make small talk since I'll be tutoring him. I've met him before. It'd be rude not to, at least that's what Mother says. But, he beats me to it.

"You seem to be one of Mrs. Ito's best students. She told me a lot about your work."

I look at him, he seems a bit worn out. We go down the stairs, going to the gym.

"I work really hard in literature. I think everyone needs a bit of guidance in it. It needs deep understanding, that's all."

That's when he says, "I know there's a lot behind literature but it is difficult sometimes. I want to improve as fast as possible, and failing is not an option." His words are sharp, he's very well spoken.

"Well then, I'll talk to Mrs. Ito about the arrangements for our lessons."

We walk for a few minutes in silence. What do I say?

"Okay. Are you also going to the gym?" He asks, his tone unusual.

"Yes, I am. My friend is the team's manager. I like to join her sometimes. It was a pleasure talking to you."

He nods.

We walk through the gym doors, I head in the opposite direction. This time that same breeze follows us in.

----------------------------------------------------------

I get called in by Mrs. Ito after class today. I know this can't be good.

"Mrs. Ito, you asked to speak to me?"

"Yes. Take a seat, Ushijima."

"I've already informed Coach Washijo about your tardiness. I need to talk to you urgently about your literature grades this quarter. I've tried looking for extra credit work you can do to get a higher grade, but it was of no use. You are on very thin ice, Ushijima. I hate to be the one to tell you but if you fail, you'll have a very difficult time getting scholarships for the university of your choice, or even pursuing a sports career later on. I'm going to assign you with a tutor."

This is humiliating, to a degree that burns my skin. I can't have people talk about me being a failure, I have too much on my back to fail. As she's completing her sentence, someone enters through the door. I really hope no one heard that last part. I don't need Coach Washijo hearing about this.

It's her.

"Oh I'm so sorry, Mrs. Ito! I'll wait outside," she apologizes.

I'm completely lost in thought, I don't utter a single word. It feels as if the entire globe stopped turning on its axis the moment I laid eyes on her for the first time again. I especially don't look at her when she's this close.

It is her. The girl I always see in the hall, the star of our grade.

"Look! It's the left-handed weirdo, Ushijima!"

"He writes with his left hand! Are you an alien or something?"

"He barely talks, I bet he is."

"Hey! Stop being rude. Can't you see he's on the floor? You're supposed to help him, not make fun of him!" A girl's voice shouts.

She walks over to me and puts her hand out to help me up. I take it. My eyes burn with humiliation. I had spent a good five minutes listening to these bullies, looking down at my hands with contempt. I had said nothing, not a word, but it was enough to make them hate me.

"Buzz off before I make you regret it!"

I don't notice that I have a spot of mud on my face, but she does.

"Here," she points to the spot as she hands me a tissue.

"You're Ushijima, right? I'm Hana! Hana Takahashi." She puts her hand out to shake mine, tilting her head toward her shoulder. I'm mesmerized at her smile, at the way she defended me so simply. She introduces herself starting with her first name, a welcoming gesture full of warmth.

"Yes I am. It's nice to meet you, Hana." She shakes my hand as she smiles, I clean my face in embarrassment.

Our introduction is short-lived since a car honk interrupts.

"I've got to go. I'll see you around!"

She waves and leaves.

Mrs. Ito has assigned her as my tutor. I don't know how to feel. It's been so long, I don't understand what happened after that day. We become amazing friends, worthwhile companions, but that swiftly stopped. That day just stuck in my head and I heard her voice again. It was the first time someone understood me and defended me.

I don't usually smile, because I don't care to smile anymore, but I really appreciate that she's willing to help me. I really can't hold it back. If there is something I notice, it's that she isn't as extroverted as that day, and the days following. It's been years, so I don't think much of it.

Her face is soft, features light, and an airy look in her eyes. A spark of confidence that makes her look even more beautiful. Her brown hair falls around her, framing her face and caressing her shoulders. Her rosy lips always find a way to turn upward and blast a smile.

I've seen students make excuses not to be around me, so as not to tutor me. I'm pleased she doesn't.

----------------------------------------------------------
Author: aaaa they're so cute.