15: LOVE TESTS

The silence of the Man Cave is so very welcoming

The silence of the Man Cave is so very welcoming. In my everyday life, I'm not surrounded by the peace and quiet that I so crave. I'm usually surrounded by screaming babies and yelling teenagers. I'm honestly surprised that it's so quiet here, though. Usually, Ray and Schwoz are here all the time, doing whatever they do on days off. I know that Schwoz is in the lab right now, working on a new invention about something that I couldn't understand, but I have no clue where Ray is. It's better that way, honestly. He would make my headache much worse.

Plopping down on the leather round couch, I turn the old TV on with the large remote that goes along with it. I had to search through the winding and confusing tunnels and rooms of the Man Cave to find this TV, and then I had to look more for a VCR and a VHS tape to play in the background while I lay down on the couch. No one really showed me around this place when I first started working here, and while I was getting annoyed that I was lost, it was quite interesting seeing everything behind the scenes of the Man Cave. That's actually how I stumbled on Schwoz in the lab, scaring him so bad that he peed himself. That was awkward, but he acted like it had happened before. 

I lay back on the couch, folding my hands up underneath my head to try and combat the headache that's forming over my right eye. Lately, I haven't been getting that many headaches, but I haven't been working with Gil or Erika, either. There has to be a connection between my headaches and my job, but I can't be sure that there is. I don't want that to be the case, though. Guilt runs through my veins at the thought. Erika would have a cow if she knew that I even had a thought that my headaches were because of her. I told her that they were related to stress, which is half true. She'd never forgive me if she found out. Though, she'll never forgive me for forgetting about her, either.

The TV screen flashes bright colors against my vision, and the ache in my head worsens, pulsating behind my eyes. I take my glasses off, setting it on the table, before I bury my head into the red and black leather, taking a deep breath. The smell of leather washes over me, and I thought it would make me nauseous, but it doesn't. Maybe this headache won't turn into a migraine. Hopefully. 

Exhaustion rolls through my body, and for once in my life, I allow myself to fall into the alluring dark abyss. The noises from the TV fall on deaf ears as I enter the land of dreams. A face appears in my head, one that I had seen on the video that Ray forced me to watch after I became an employee here. After watching that video, I dreamt all about the villains Henry and Ray have faced as superheroes, so I'm not that surprised to see his face in my dreams. What surprises me is that I think I've seen her before.

And that's when I hear an elevator dinging. 

I shake awake, nearly falling off of the couch in the process. The movie I put on earlier continues to play as I sit up groggily, wondering who could be here. I was once told by Charlotte that no one really comes in this early to the Man Cave, and it is our day off unless something came up, so I was wanting some time by myself. Plus, I don't want anyone to see me sleeping because I don't want them to make fun of all the weird noises I make.