"Yes," she says. "It's good for your memory."

"Huh," Karina's father says. "Interesting."

"I'll do the dishes," Karina mumbles, standing up.

Winter shoots to her feet. "I'll help."

"Aw," Ms Narae coos at that, grasping her fiancé's hand. "It's so nice you girls are getting along."

Mr. Yu nods. "I guess spending quality time together has done them some good," he chuckles.

Karina hopes against all hopes Winter keeps silent, but of course she doesn't. "Oh," she says in a sing-song voice, "you have no idea."

She's relieved and horrified at the same time when the adults stand up and leave with a customary kiss to their daughter's cheek. Now that they are gone, Winter doesn't have to cover up her suggestive remarks and Karina hates this tense anticipation.

Winter, however, seemingly chooses another strategy today because she silently gathers the dishes from the table and watches as Karina puts away the leftovers. When she cooks, there are no leftovers. She always measures the exact amount of ingredients needed. But tonight, with Ms Narae's generous cooking and with Winter's refusal to eat anything even closely resembling actual food, they got more than needed and Karina isn't about to throw it away. Maybe she can do something with them later.

When she's done with leftovers, they move to the sink and divide their efforts by an unspoken agreement: Karina washes and Winter dries. Her step sister is standing just a touch closer than needed, and their arms and shoulders brush against each other with their movements. She doesn't let herself look at Winter, choosing instead to glare at the dishes in the sink. Winter clearly doesn't have that problem. She feels her amused stare on her from time to time. She's nonchalant; indifferent even, and it irks Karina more than her putting the dishes away in the wrong cabinet.

She blows up just as Winter starts to speak.

"You know, it's weird that you guys don't-"

"Honey? Really?" That's not even what Karina wanted to say, but she's been feeling incredulous this whole time. "A diet based on honey?"

"You sound like your dad," Winter points out, grinning. Karina lifts her eyes to look at her, and she looks positively giddy. "What? You didn't like my clever metaphor that only the two of us are in on?"

"No," Karina says flatly. "That's the worst metaphor for vaginal fluids I've ever heard." It's too overused, honestly. Honey, nectar, anything to do with peach. Karina rolls her eyes every time she sees those words used to describe a vagina. It's a vagina. It's not supposed to taste and smell like a spring flower. It's tangy, heavy, and beautiful.

Like Winter's. Her scent was heady and musky, and it felt incredible and-

Karina snaps her eyes away from Winter as she tries to get rid of the memories invading her brain.

Thankfully, the blonde doesn't seem to notice. She carries on with the conversation as if nothing is happening. As if Karina isn't trying, and failing, not to imagine what she tastes like.

"Well excuse me if I'm no Sappho," Winter scoffs.

Karina shoots her a surprised look, prompting her to raise her eyebrows. "What? We live in the same house. I saw you read her work. And even if I didn't," she puts the dish down, smirking, "it's not that much of a stretch. You like to read and you're really gay. So you must've read Sappho at some point."