Chapter Ten

Author's POV

 The journey of just a few steps was silent and felt like ages to Irene, but she knew if she said something she might trigger the jerk in Hadrian. But she was getting bored.

"Uhm... Hadrian" she began"could you please tell me where we are going?"

"I don't know" he sounded rude, Irene nodded and they continued the journey.

Hadrian is a man of few words, he loves being alone but for some reason unknown to him, he has no idea why he is with Irene. They get to a bridge, Hadrian crosses over and keeps walking leaving Irene at the other side.

"Hey, uhm. Hadrian, what about me?" she shivers.

"Come on, you can do this" he teases, Irene looked at him puzzled, one minute he sounds rude the next he's teasing her all over again. Why? She thought to herself.

"Please help me, this bridge Looks faulty!" it did look faulty since it's been existing for years.

"I have to go the journey awaits me" he moves forward turning his back at her.

Irene squeals"your majesty!"

Hadrian bursts into laughter" so now I'm your majesty."

"Please help me, I'll do anything"Irene begs. She could turn back but she feared the creatures of the night.

"Anything?"Hadrian teases.

"Anything, please just help me across" she squeals again. Now she was getting giddy but she couldn't afford to yell at Hadrian or she will be left alone in the woods.

"Okay, beg me"

Irene's eyes darted, was she going to do this?  Hadrian moves again. He was annoying. Beg him?

"Okay, wait please Hadrian please help me"Irene pouted.
Hadrian sighs and stretches his hand to grab hers, she takes his hand and she is pulled into his arms still squealing and panicking.

"Thank you" she raises her head and meets his eyes again"I'm sorry" was all she said as she shrugs out of his warm yet fearful embrace straightening her dress.

Hadrian didn't let go of her hand for a minute since he believed she might get lost or squeal into his ear this time. They finally get Hadrain's mystery place, it was beautiful even in the dark, not many trees surrounded it, and it had a stream just in front. Hadrian moved towards a pile of wood as he bent down, he picked some stones and rubbed them together continuously struggling to make a fire. Irene smiled at his behavior, she walked towards him and took the stones carefully"let me" she said and rubbed the stones once and it let out the fire.

"How did you..?"  he looked surprised.

"I am a blacksmith's daughter" Irene mentioned to him, she took off her cloak and sat at the other end of the stream away from Hadrian. She wasn't avoiding him, but she doesn't want to feel emotional around him, her thoughts were all about her father and Liam, and she missed them dearly. She let out a heavy sigh as she stared at the crackling of the fire wishing her entire family was complete again.

Irene's POV

Hadrian interrupted my thoughts as he sat just next to me. I adjusted few inches away from him and continued straring at the fire.

"What's wrong?" he began

I shook my head “It is of no matter, my lord"

"Okay, let's make this fun, you get to ask me three questions and I'll sincerely answer...." he trailed".... Then I ask you three questions and you answer sincerely, deal?" he finished but continued to stare at the sky, guess he was avoiding my gaze. My mind was filled with questions, I wanted to ask him so many, I had no idea what to start with.