"Are you sure?" Lisa eyed Genevieve with clear suspicion. "You were talking about seeing a girl right before you fainted." 

"Really?" Genevieve's attempt at a chuckle turned to a strangled cough. Gosh, she was beginning to feel hot.

"Yes, really." Lisa still had her pierced eyebrow lifted, expression deadpan.

"Forget about it," Genevieve waved as she hurried out of Lisa's room. "I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Did I tell you I dreamt of the cake last night?"

Lisa laughed as she trailed after Genevieve, her suspicion completely forgotten. "I didn't know it was that good."

"Pfft! Don't flatter yourself." Genevieve made a disgusted face. "I think eating that experiment fried some brain cells. Don't worry about me."

"But what should I tell your mum? She said she'd call back."

Genevieve groaned as she banged her head against her bedroom door. "Tell her I passed out because I was stressed out. You know the job and the annoying boss. And please, don't give me the phone to speak to her. Be a darling and help a sister." She patted Lisa's cheek twice and entered her room.

***

After a quick shower, Genevieve tiptoed into her bedroom. Everything appeared the same. No child in sight. She sighed, her inside melting with relief.

It was 7:15 am by the time she was done twisting her braids into a high bun, applying a light touch of makeup, and pulling on a pink blazer and dark blue jeans. The hard part was choosing between her newly acquired navy blue pointed-toe stilettos or white sneakers. She loved both. Stupid her usually added a little razzle-dazzle to her appearance because, yeah, that hopeless 0.0000001% part of her wanted to stun the Batman boss with her gorgeousness whenever they crossed paths.

"This power chick..." she said as she stood in front of the full-length mirror and lifted each pair of shoes, "or this cutie?"

"I think the blue one is cool."

"Shit!" The shoes fell off Genevieve's hands as she stumbled away.

"Wow." Ada walked over to her side. "Didn't know I was that scary. And you should watch your language around kids."

The girl looked way too innocent and adorable. And strangely, her wide brown eyes were calming Genevieve's racing heart. Nope. Snap out of it. Genevieve gave her head a hard shake and turned away.

"Please, go away."

"Nah ah," Ada replied in a sing-song tone.

Genevieve's hands shook as she bent to pick up the stilettos. "This isn't real...this isn't real..." She mumbled the words, willing her mind to be convinced.

"Come on!" Ada huffed. "I thought I'd already established the fact that I am real. Or did I do a bad job at that, too?"

Ignoring her, Genevieve snatched her bag and hightailed out of her bedroom.

"You know you can't keep ignoring me, right?" Ada fell in step with Genevieve as she made it to the kitchen.

Opening the refrigerator, Genevieve retrieved a carton of mixed fruit juice. Grabbing a glass, she filled it before taking a plate from the cabinet. Lisa's cake would have to do for breakfast. She stood to eat, shoving forkfuls of cake into her mouth and gulping juice. She was determined to ignore the apparition who was presently seated on the counter, watching her eat with a ...knowing smile?

"Wouldn't you ask why I am here?" Ada's legs were crossed at the knee, and she swung one sneaker-clad foot as she waited for an answer.

Silence.

"You know, you'll have to talk to me soon."

More silence.

"Oh, come on! It can't be that hard to talk."

Silence with a scowl.

"Look"—the girl leaned forward, a serious expression clouding her face—"Let's make a deal. I would not follow you to work today if you promise to give me a chance to explain all this when you get back."

Genevieve paused, the glass cup stopping halfway to her lips. The mental image of her new imaginary friend following her to work made her break into a cold sweat.

"Okay," Genevieve said in a low careful voice.

"She speaks. Finally." Ada floated to her feet and pumped a fist. "Can we shake on it?"

"Don't push it." Genevieve dumped the dishes in the sink and made her way out.

"Worth the shot!" Ada shouted. "See you when you get back."

Not looking forward to that.

"I miss you already," Ada called after her in that same excited voice.

This definitely can't be happening. 

Genevieve hugged her bag to her chest and speed-walked out of her apartment.

______________________________________________________________________

We will be meeting boss dearest in the next chapter. 

So Worst Cupid Ever made it to the third and final round of ONC. Would I be able to beat the deadline? That's something only future me knows. 

Anyhoo... I hope you enjoyed this chapter. 
Vote 
Comment
Love ya'll