Chapter Four

[Hey everybody. Sorry for such a late update we were both very bust with work and school, it was midterms, but here is chapter 4!]

[Just a disclaimer, we have changed it from saying the characters name POV to just the number of the character. We did this because for new characters being introduced we want you to find out their names in their first chapter. After they are introduced we will put their name.]

[Each character has a different number. Thank you!]

[Authors note will be at the end of each chapter.]

Character #2 POV: 

"Your highness!"

I hear through the door as the messenger knocks. I roll my eyes when it happens.

"I am here yet again to remind you that your father is waiting on your arrival to the throne ro-"

I sign loudly, huffing out an annoyed breath, "I know this. You have told me twice already, Cliff." I cut him off, using his first name to stress him out.

Most servants here never get called by their name. So when we do, it frightens them, they fear that they are in trouble, that they might get killed. Which isn't entirely wrong. However, right now I am doing it to just keep him alert. Maybe also stop him from bothering me. But, everyone here is more afraid of what my father will do to them if they don't follow orders than they are of me and what I would do.

The servants here are highly trained, skilled, they know if they put one foot out of line it can cost them their head. Even with the high standards you need to work in this castle, they still mess up quite often. With the risk you are taking to work here as a servant, people still try their hardest to get a job in this castle, because they know that the alternative is having to survive all alone in this dangerous world. And being alone here in this world is a death sentence to anyone that isn't powerful.

For as long as I can remember people of all species, those who are of the lower class need a job in this castle to be able to live peacefully. Or they need a job somewhere that will give them safety and stability. Though for any species other than demons and angels, their only destiny is to be a slave, a servant to one that is of higher class, unless they are lucky enough to be a weak species with some kind of higher social class.

Servants and slaves are much different. This castle has both, but you wouldn't see me with a slave of my own. The difference between the two is slim, not even noticeable unless you are a royal. Slaves get nothing in return for their work, they live in filth, eat trash and get treated that way. Servants however get something in return. It isn't much, but for them it is everything. They have a clean place to sleep at night, a meal every day that doesn't taste like something is rotting. Servants still do have to agree and do every order given to them but they get some respect. They get to have their own thoughts.

"My Lady, please your father will have my head if you don't show an appearance."

I get pulled out of my thoughts when the messenger speaks again. "Cliff. I will have your head if you speak one more time. Go tell my father I don't want to make an appearance. I am busy!" I respond to him frustrated, as I place my book back onto the shelf in front of me. I hear the messenger yelp quietly before he walks away from my door in a panic. I wouldn't have killed the boy but scaring him did give me some pleasure.

I look at the massive bookshelf in front of me. It is filled with all different kinds of books, but none of them are giving me an answer to my question. And now my mind is too distracted to try and figure it out.

Right now I am in my study, it is just down the hall from my bedroom. I know it kinda seems pointless to have a study and a room, but I have a lot of books. And sometimes it's hard for me to work in a space meant for sleeping.