The Fight

"And God forbid I turn a damn light on!" I shout.

"Then Hell with you when you've got a fucking sun over your head!"

"Doesn't mean we can't live like damn normal people!" My glare meets hers.

"Well sorry were not fucking millionaires!" Her hands extend the flame of her fire, twisting with fury. "I'm just trying to make sure we have a good future!"

"A future?" I scoff, stepping around the leather chair in my office. Our proximity was only feet away now, the intensity of our glares so much more. "How do you expect to make a living at a job that doesn't go up? How do you expect to make more money with a job that doesn't climb the ladder!"

She runs a hand through her golden hair, knuckles red from her bad habit of picking at them nervously. I want to tell her to stop, but I'm so upset with her. She can do whatever she wants for all I care at the moment. I only see rage, not the girl in front of me. "I make it work," She mumbles.

"What?" I snap.

"I said I make it work."

"Oh yeah?" My body rages in a boiling anger. "What about your future? What about Berkeley or State or Yale?"

She pinches her lips, wiping furious sweat onto her skirt. "I told you I'm not going there."

The irritation builds up within me. "Why? 'Cause you don't want to? That's bullshit, it's ridiculous!"

Her eyes gleam with animal, teeth growling through her dilated pupils. "You know I cant go there."

"Fuck," I exhale. "You're fucking smart, to Hell with you on this."

We've been fighting for nearly an hour, throwing each of our own insecurities at another. I knew the beast had emerged. It was in full sight, no hiding now. It's eyes glowed threateningly, it's intentions purely evil. The past, the present and the future, I fought the beast. Wrestled it to the ground, and got back up again. I wasn't thinking how this would affect us in the long run. We fought so often, this couldn't be any different. Except the beast was out, and I've only seen slivers of its claws and teeth. Sharp and menacing, the beast wasn't a joke. It was a full fledged monster, preparing to charge.

"Just say it!" She screams with anger lacing each letter.

"Say what?" I power back.

Her shoulders carry the rage, shaking visibly. "Say my name!"

I feel the annoyance leave me, my head thrusting back and closing my eyes so their cool lids extinguish my rage. "You know I can't do that."

"Exactly." The venom has left her eyes when I meet them again, hanging my head in defeat.

Silence passes as the anger lessens, diminishing whats left of our war. I yank my head back as her cold hands cup my cheeks. I twist and turn, but finally give in as their cool temperature cradles my jaw. I breathe deeply as her eyes meet mine, their glimmering gone. I sigh as her dainty fingers find their way to the cool metal shaping behind my ears, sliding them from my face.

"Why do you insist on wearing these?" Her voice is gentle, no longer threatening as their amber shield leaves me blinded by her colorful aura.

I blink into her bright appearance, reaching for my sunglasses, but she clutches them unwilling by her side. I settle for resting my hands on her waist, pressing my chin onto her shoulder.

"Do you know why you can't say my name?"

"Don't," I mumble into her shoulder.

She pushes against my chest, making me stumble back so I clutch her wrists and stable myself. "Do you know why I obey your every command?"