Chapter 5: Family Reunion

Start from the beginning

"So you were stuck in that Ocean King place for four years?" Aryll asked Link with wide eyes of curiosity as the hero continued to explain where he had been the past several years, giving them all of the details about the World of the Ocean King and introducing them to Ciela, whose sweet personality instantly charmed both women.

"Technically, it was five," the hero corrected her. "It only felt like four because I spent a whole year trapped in stone thanks to Bellum."

"How dare that horrible monster hold you captive for so long," Grandma said with a bitter frown, her tone defensive and protective of her newly found grandson. "He sounds almost as bad as that awful Ganondorf man that was responsible for Aryll's capture years ago."

The girl crossed her arms and glared in agreement, a sentiment that Link shared as he set his gaze in a serious scowl down at the table the three of them were eating lunch at in the living room. "Honestly, if I had to pick, I'd say Ganondorf was much worse than Bellum," he said, remembering well the brutal battle he had fought against the king of thieves when he was just a boy. "I barely made it out of that fight alive. If I had to do it again, even now... I don't think I would be able to..."

"Well, it's a good thing you won't ever have to," Aryll said with relief, trying to brighten the mood a bit. "Though I really think you could take him again if you really had to, big brother! I mean, you're older, taller, and stronger now. No one would stand a chance against you!"

"It's true, my dear," Grandma said with a pleased smile. "You've grown to be quite handsome these past few years. It's such a shame we had to miss out on it..."

"Yeah..." Link said a bit bashfully, taking their fawning over him with humbleness. "Again, I'm sorry I was gone for so long. If I could have found a way back sooner, then believe me, I would have taken it. I missed you both so much."

"And we missed you too, dear," Grandma said sweetly, her kindness still radiating in her every word as it always did.

"That's why this is so incredible," Aryll said with a bright smile. "I mean, all these years, all of us thought you were dead and gone forever, but here you are! It's like a dream come true! Everyone will be so excited to find out you're back! I wonder what Miss Tetra will say when she-"

"Aryll..." the hero said a bit warningly, stopping the girl in her tracks. Both women looked at him in confusion, not knowing that the topic of the pirate captain and her reception of his return was still a sore subject. He had not bothered to mention it, mostly because he had no idea how to address it. After all, even his own family, who certainly must have been just as hurt by his supposed death as she had been, had accepted him back with open arms. So why hadn't she?

"What?" Aryll asked, raising an eyebrow at her brother.

"Let's just say I already saw Tetra and leave it at that, ok?" Link asked a bit impatiently, not wanting to say much more on the matter, but of course, his excitable little sister still persisted.

"You saw her?" the girl asked, her eyes wide with curiosity. "Oh, tell me everything! Was she happy to see you? What did she say? Did you two kiss?"

"W-what?!" the hero exclaimed, caught completely off guard by this question as he felt his cheeks grow warm with embarrassment. Both Grandma and Aryll laughed in amusement at his reaction, knowing that the fact that he was so flustered said enough.

"Oh come on, Link," Aryll said, rolling her eyes teasingly. "I know you've had a crush on Miss Tetra ever since you were my age. There's no use trying to hide it! And besides, there's nothing wrong with that. You two would make a cute couple."