The Story of Soulmates Past

Start from the beginning

Wei Ying's arms slid around Lan Zhan's waist and up his back, pulling the jade closer as if he was trying to physically make them one body. That was the only reason he noticed that Lan Zhan was shivering.

Wei Ying released Lan Zhan and looked at the injured man with new eyes. He placed the back of his hand on his jade's forehead and gasped.

"Lan Zhan! You're burning up!"

"Am fine."

"NO! You most certainly are not. You've pushed yourself too hard. You lost a lot of blood and who knows what kind of infection that son of bitch scorpion may have caused. And....and on top of that, the air in here is already getting thinner. Come, we need to rest."

Wei Ying made Lan Zhan sit first so he could make sure his fiance was comfortable. He pulled the water skin out and gave the jade a drink of water. There wasn't much left. After three gulps, Lan Zhan pushed it away.

"Drink." he ordered Wei Ying.

"Nuh-uh. It's all for you. But you'll have to ration it." Wei Ying looked around them, Bichen's glow still bright. "Most likely, they'll know where we are because of the dead scorpion. But the landslide will slow down our rescue. It could take them a few days." he said, trying to hide the concern building inside him.

Wei Ying looked into Lan Zhan's golden eyes. They were so trusting, so beautiful and innocent. How could one man be everything in one godly gorgeous body? And how could he be all his?

"Xiongzhang will find us." Lan Zhan said determinedly. "Rest."

Wei Ying couldn't argue with that. They needed to save their strength. Even walking back to the entrance would be a waste of energy, especially for Lan Zhan. Before lowering himself to sit next to his jade, Wei Ying began removing his outer robe.

"Wha-What are you d-doing?" Lan Zhan asked, his eyes darting everywhere except where Wei Ying was standing.

Wei Ying giggled. "Nothing we'll regret in the morning, you fuddy-duddy. You have a fever. I'm going to use this to keep you warm." he explained.

He covered Lan Zhan's trembling body with his robe and tucked it in around his neck. Wei Ying gave him another sip of water, making sure not to spill one precious drop.

"Now," he whispered. "Stop embuing Bichen. It's using up what little strength you have."

"But it will be dark."

Wei Ying smiled. "I'm used to the dark. It doesn't frighten me. But losing you...that scares me more than anything else in this world. Please, my love."

Lan Zhan looked at him, his golden eyes already a little less focused. "Won't be able to see my Wei Ying."

The love in Wei Ying's heart swelled like a rising wave. "Then feel me."

Bichen's bright glow faded until they were plunged into a disorienting darkness. Wei Ying's hand reached up as his lips found Lan Zhan's mouth without missing their target. He held his future husband's face tenderly knowing that feverish skin was usually sensitive to even the slightest touch. And Lan Zhan's skin was scorching to the touch. If only he could use his demonic energy to heal him. But that was not a risk he was willing to take. Not yet.

Wei Ying kept the kiss light and gentle. And short. He snuggled into Lan Zhan's body, careful not to touch any of his wounds. The healing paste had helped but they were still there. And now, apparently, an infection had invaded his beloved's body.

"We just need to rest. They'll find us soon." Wei Ying murmured.

Lan Zhan nodded. In seconds, his head fell against the top of Wei Ying's head and his breathing evened out. Only now did Wei Ying feel like he, too, could sleep. But it was hours before his body finally surrendered to the peaceful bliss his jade had found.