Chapter 1

The group gather to recuperate after realizing all their efforts to make their fellow Hashira smile were for nothing.

A/N: This would take place after "For You Who Does Not Smile" if you need context. Fair warning, if you came here for romance you'll have to wait a while since this is definitely a slowburn.

WARNING: Canonical character death, Spoilers, and some trauma. fun.

-linebreak-

"So we were-"

"Yes," Shinobu nodded at them. "yes you were,"

Currently, the group- Tomioka excluded- were currently discussing the failure of their little escapade to make Oyakata-sama's wishes come true which was to make Tomioka smile, which as it turns out, was not his wishes but, for them to show concern for the Pillar instead.  So all their previous efforts of making him smile were fruitless ones. They were now realizing this thanks to Shinobu informing them of this obvious oversight.

"So I just- That was-" It seemed as if Sanemi was having a hard time computing that he had almost done something nice for the man only for it to have ended up not mattering at all.

Himejima bowed, hands pressed together as he did so, a look of shame reflected across his face. "I'm sorry for misconstruing Oyakata-sama's words,"

"It is not your fault, I should have told you when I first realized,"

"So all this was... Was pointless?..." Sanemi managed to force out, hands twitching with anger. "I... I guess..." Mitsuri surmised as everyone resolved themselves to be in shunned silence Shinobu's being more ashamed than shunned herself.

"I wouldn't say it's entirely pointless!" Kyojuro said in his usual boisterous voice, Sanemi shot him a smoldering look. "What the fuck are you talking about?"

"Well, we'll just have to try even harder this time! I see this as a learning experience."

"A learning experience?" Shinobu echoed in confusion. The Flame Hashira turns towards her, hands on his hips and his smile as bright as ever, yet this time it seemed there was a flicker of mischief slipped into it. "To learn what makes Tomioka tick, that is how we will truly understand him,"

"I'm afraid I don't get it," Iguro said, gaze flickering around before focusing on Kyojuro once more. "Neither do," Uzui repeated with his arms folded over his chest, shifting his weight from one foot to another.

"I think I understand," With Gyomei's statement, a pleased sound left Kyojuro's throat. Shinobu only cocked an eyebrow at him. "You do?" He nodded in return.

"Yes, in order to show concern for him we must better understand him first, then we'll find the best way to display our concern."

"A smile would be an added bonus, however," The flame-haired man tacted on, his expression showing he was truly proud of himself for his idea. That idea had caught Mitsuri's attention and despite disdain for the man, Obanai knows that he'll soon be begrudgingly pulled along for the ride. In common Mitsuri fashion, she smacks her hands together and then clasps them together while wearing a childish grin on her face, eyes sparkling like stars in the night sky. "And we can help him! Uwwwaaaaaaahh~ I'd Love to see him smile!" Iguro perks up at that, whether it be of irritation or interest, it can easily be both.

"And what would you think of the person who made him do that?" Misturi lets out a low noise, a cross between a giggle and a squeal and nuzzles her chin between the two fists propping against the side of her face. "Oh, I'd absolutely love them too!" And just like that, Iguro is easily onboard, no arguing whatsoever.