002. DEAFENING SILENCE

CHAPTER TWO
deafening silence

It was safe to say that dinner at the Hoovers and the Demonts were completely the same

It was safe to say that dinner at the Hoovers and the Demonts were completely the same. Well, besides the fact that there were different people. So technically, almost the same.

There's that sickening word again.

Anyway. . . the dinners were almost always the same. Which was a good thing because it ruled out all embarrassment that the two fifteen year olds could somehow gain. Though it did contain pure boringness every single evening from the constant repeating of events.

It started with quiet greetings, everyone present getting their food and talking about how their day was from before that moment.

Next came the deafening silence that fell upon the group and suffocated them. . . at least until the arguing came and exploded as though it was a volcano waiting to erupt.

And it never failed.

So as they sat, side by side, hearing nothing but the rustling and chewing that made Winnie mad with each passing second.

She clenched her fist underneath the table and grinded her teeth. . .which was a habit Dwayne and Olive had tried to get her to stop. It was no use though, yet they never gave up.

"Are you going to eat that?" Edwin asked, kicking her shin to get her attention.

She jumped, not realizing she was staring at her food in front of her and not touching any of it, and winced at the pain on her shin.

She looked up at the old man, sending him a confused look as if she wanted him to repeat his words.

"You haven't touched your food Winnie," Dwayne's mom pointed out making Winnie's head snap to Sheryl.

She gulped and took a piece of the fried chicken before putting it in her mouth. Her eyes widened when she remembered what Edwin asked and she passed him her plate.

He shook his head and pushed it back toward her and told her to eat.

Silence engulfed them yet again.

And Dwayne and Richard were done by the time Winifred had even started.

It took about 5 minutes before the first argument started and it was a race against the clock as Winnie tried to eat quickly so her and Dwayne could leave.

But today had other plans, or maybe they time jumped. Maybe she shouldn't have zoned out.

She didn't know how it started and didn't care to pay attention. It most likely had to do with the 10 steps Richard had. Or was it 9?