001. ALMOST

CHAPTER ONE
almost

CHAPTER ONEalmost

Almost.

Oh how she hated that word.

Winifred Demonts life was constantly filled with almosts everywhere she looked. An almost nice name, an almost good house, an almost good dad. . .there were just so many almosts she wanted nothing more than for something to be definite.

Yet it seemed like that was a rare occurrence that happened once every blue moon or some shit like that.

So, as Dwayne watched as she scribbled on his notepad with steam practically coming out of her ears, he already knew there was another almost. It practically was her worse enemy.

I almost drowned myself this morning.

She held up the note pad, the almost looked as though it was written in pen from how dark it was on the page.

Dwayne snatched it out of her hands with a frown on his face and Winnie just watched, scanning his face for his reaction.

Her face was rested though worry ate her up inside as if it was a lion trapped in a cave with no way out and food had no way in. It was a constant battle between worry and anger and she feared they both may have tried to get her other emotions on their teams.

She didnt know what she was genuinely feeling.

He wanted to cry or hug her or gasp at the words he read but he just sat there, staring as if it would fade away at any moment. Like invisible ink or something.

Why?

He passed his words back to her and watched as she bit her lip to help think of how to explain it.

No idea, feel very bad about it though.

He stayed quiet, well he always stayed quiet, and tapped his thumbs to think. She snatched the notepad back before he could write.

I wish I never wanted to do that.

He read the words and gave her a look as though he wanted her to keep going. When he thought she didnt get the memo, he placed the notepad gently on her bare legs.

He watched carefully as she stared down at it, almost as if she didnt know what to do with it, and bit the inside of his cheek in anticipation.

He grabbed the notepad back and scribbled words quickly on the page.

How did it happen?

She signed and took the pen from him. She began to write but the ink didn't come out very well so she scribbled circles on the upper right side to make it easier.

I was taking a bath and I just went under the water and never got back up. I got out when my head felt dizzy.

He frowned at the words, not knowing what to say.