Katherine noticed a disgruntled look on her aunt's face upon her arrival, but that didn't phase her a bit. "So, I see you have decided to join the ball. I had thought you might choose to abstain from such high society engagements, given that you don't have much experience in such areas." Said her aunt " But since you have decided to attend anyways, do remember to display proper etiquette. I expect you to not cause our family any embarrassment."

"Do not worry, I'd be by your side," Eloise whispered from behind her. She looked stunning in her fashionable light blue dress, which had a laced neckline.

Soon, they were joined by Sybilla and Eleanor. While Penelope was yet to make an appearance.

"Dear cousin, it is brave of you to join us" said Eleanor in a fictitious voice "I fear you might find this soiree entirely dull. Especially if none of the gentlemen ask you to dance. Which very likely might happen." Laughed Eleanor as she pulled out a small looking glass from her reticule, to examine her curls.

"Do not pay her any mind, she is just afraid that she will not have enough dance partners because all the men will be enchanted with you" said Eloise in a low voice "You are very pretty, and any gentleman would be blind indeed, not to see that"

This remark did not go unheard and as if out of spite, Eleanor accidentally hit a nearby candlestick while attempting to put her looking glass back into her reticule. This caused a burning candle to drop onto Katherine's dress.

The sheer horror on Sybilla's face after watching this was alarming. "Oh heavens! What have you done Eleanor?" she said frantically "Are you alright Katherine? Have you been injured?" She asked with a worried expression.

"I truly am sorry, cousin. I didn't mean to harm you." Eleanor said with feigned concern "such a shame your pretty dress is ruined by all that wax"

All eyes were now turned towards them, with Katherine as the centre of the spectacle. For a moment they all remained silent. But when Katherine could bear it no more she bowed and fled the scene without a word. Soon tears came streaming down her face. When she was finally alone in her bed, she broke down into a sob. The cruelty of her cousin towards her was exceedingly wicked and her conceit so offensive.

How a blood relation can show such unkindness to another, was beyond her understanding. Especially when she had given her no reason to dislike her.

After a while, she heard a soft knock on her door. This must be her maid who had come to check upon her. "I am quite alright Abigail, I am unharmed I assure you." She said calming her sobs

"It is a comfort to know that you are alright " came Eloise's voice from the other side of the door , which was a bit surprising . She immediately opened the door to find her and three of her maids, who all marched straight into her bedchamber, immediately upon her opening the door.

"What are you doing here? You will miss the ball if you do not leave soon with the rest of the ladies." Cautioned Katherine

"How could I leave you alone? After what happened downstairs." Eloise tried to examine where the candle had damaged Katherine's dress. "I dare say, your cousin Eleanor is extremely wicked to harm you like this. I shan't be surprised to discover that she is a witch. With her coy smile and blushing cheeks, She conceals a mean soul!"

"Do not distress your mind by thinking of her. She didn't harm me, I was protected by my chemise and stockings, which kept the scalding hot wax from touching my skin." Katherine said